Backup software that will span DVDs?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I'm looking for some backup software that I can use to run full backups of my important files. I'd like to backup my video, music, photographs, documents, etc. to DVDs. All of my video, music, and photo directories are larger than 5GB, so simply copying the directory over to a single DVD each isn't feasible. What's a good backup software to use that can span DVDs to create backup sets? I think that the .mac Backup is capable of doing this... but I have no other use for .mac and paying $99 a year for the privilege of running backups of my personal workstation is a bit outrageous. Is there any software that mimics the .mac functionality but that can be purchased "outright"?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i looked into this not too long ago. Apple's backup software was by far the best program out there to get this done. i have data sets that are backed up across 30+ DVD's. i've also done restores from them without a hitch.

to me, having that ability for $99 is worth it. if you get other stuff with it fine, but backup alone was worth the $99.

it's not like Toast would be any cheaper.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    gh0zttgh0ztt Posts: 42member
    Well, let me ask you this: Is the restore functionality always active? So I can restore something regardless of whether I pay for .mac anymore?

You mentioned Toast. Can Toast due something similar? The span DVD thing is the main feature I'm looking for.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    toast will not span dvds.

Backup and retrospect will for sure though I know
  • Reply 4 of 8
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    um i'm almost positive idvd4 does this, but i dont own it yet, so someone else will have to confirm.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    idvd4 is for movies though, not backups. I don't think it will span dvds either.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    no you can totally do data dvds in idvd.

the other thing you can try is just burning from the desktop. put in a blank dvd and the icon will show up on your desktop, dump your stuff in there, right-click and click burn disc, and see if it will span automatically for you.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    i did not know that. I will have to try this when i get home. I did know you can edit the dvd-rom contents but will this let you span dvd's?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Impression (http://www.babelcompany.com/impression/index.html) does this quite well.

turboSPE