airport connection

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
i ve an imac G4 800MHz (2 years old) with an airport card and a snow white air port base station (1.5 years old).

here is the scenario:

whenever i turn on the airport card (i turn it off every time i finish), signal strength shows 5 bars, default network found, connection done by clicking connect as seen in the network menu. But no network activities in opening Safari or Mail.

I have to, everytime, off the connection, turn the airport card on and off many times (depend on my luck on that day) and try connect to the internet to see if the connection actually works. this is very annoying and i'm thinking is the basestation approaching the end of its life span like the 1st gen. basestation or is there something wrong with my setting.

Can anyone offer your views?

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Why do you turn off your Airport connection? Leave it on and it seems that all your problems would be solved.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Why do you turn off your Airport connection? Leave it on and it seems that all your problems would be solved.

I agree, don't turn it off. It could be that it has a warm-up period.

Make sure, also your Airport BaseStation is in a central location in your house. This allows for maximum through put. Also, it might help to put it close to a heating/colling vent as they are usually metal, and can transfer signals.

If someone (Dr.Bott?) could create a ground signal sender that woudl propagate through the house, then I think wireless networking could be better.

-walloo.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    firehcfirehc Posts: 368member
    i was thinking it would be safer to turn the airport off so no one could access my mac/files.

does it make any sense?

reception is ok with me always got 4 bars.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Nope, won't make in any safer or anything like that. I'm assuming that you are running OS X on your iMac, just make sure the firewall is on. OS X is extremely secure, so you won't have any problems with that.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Nope, won't make in any safer or anything like that. I'm assuming that you are running OS X on your iMac, just make sure the firewall is on. OS X is extremely secure, so you won't have any problems with that.

yeah I m running panther on my imac with a closed airport network.

thanks your all your replies.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Leave it on, as already posted.

When you activate your Airport card, it can take a minute or more for your Mac to discover that a new network option is available, and to recieve an IP etc. (you can watch the process in Network Preferences). That delay is probably what you're dealing with...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    too bad, the same old problem comes back even i leave the airport card on,

whenever i wake the imac up from sleep, the airport searchs for the network, and done, i click connect, the airport status shows a connection (the timer for connection appears), but there is no download activities.......

aagain, i have to switch the airport on and off .....