Help! PowerMac G5 1.6 Noisy HD

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Got my 1.6 G5 all stock standard only 256mb ram installed... when opening applications or doing work internal HD seens to be very busy... I am going to get more ram but wanted to know if there is anything that i can do to fix this noise... and does anyone think that tyhe lack of ram is causing my HD to work more ie having to write to VM instead of real memory...

Noise was there when i pick up my G5 last monday so I know its nothing I have added that is causing duress on the HD. My 550 Ti Book with 512meg ram seems faster running illustrator 10 ...

other notes

1. Have updated g5 firmware

2. running panter osx 10.3

3. Have not updated the Fan update as machine fans are really quite unlike my hairdryer 550Ti powerbook...

Thanks .....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    yes, getting more ram should quiet it down.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Ram would help, but just to be on the safe side test the SMART status of your HD to make sure everything is on the up and up.

Open up terminal, type:

Code:

diskutil info disk0

and look at the line that says, Smart Status:

If after that line it says anything but "Verified" you've got trouble. If it says "verified" than just pick up another 512mb of ram. You're crippling a great machine by only having 256mb in there!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Thanks guys...

Just checked the SMART status ... shows verified ... going to get a lot of ram tommorow
  • Reply 4 of 4
    celcocelco Posts: 211member
    Well well well... I have a new HD...

After installing 1GB of ram ...still problems... called apple australia 90day support got my call routed to india... the line dropped out... they didn't call me back... funny that...( Overseas tech support outsourcing should be banned...) now close to being %$%^&!! off... called back to apple australia... got an understanding aussie tech who heped me out only to discover yep a faulty HD... When I purchased my G5 the box was a bit dirty...hmmm makes me think someone at the retailer or in shipping might have dropped the box... anywho new HD swaped in no more problems And damn this thing KILLS my Ti book for speed... Had a great week since thanks again to all who helped...