Burn many times to a CD-R?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'd like to use a CD-R as a floppy (being able to burn files to it multiple times). Can this be done through the Finder? If not, can it be done through another piece of software?

I tried to do this, but it would only let me burn the CD once, even though I didn't use all of the space available on it. I've seen people do this on Windows XP, so I was wondering if this can be done on Panther.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    CD-Rs can only by burned once.

CD-RWs can be burned hundreds of times.

Someone else can explain that Windows leaves sessions open in a nonstandard format that is, well, only readable on Windows and even then can sometimes be flakey. This is a Bad Thing.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Someone else can explain that Windows leaves sessions open in a nonstandard format that is, well, only readable on Windows and even then can sometimes be flakey. This is a Bad Thing.

not entirely true. i'm pretty sure that toast can leave the session open. i used to tabble in that black art. pretty frickin flaky. and the logic didn't make sense to me.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

not entirely true. i'm pretty sure that toast can leave the session open.

That's not really the same. Toast can allow you to write multiple sessions on one CD. That's okay. Windows, however, has a way of making it all look like it's the same session.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Yeah, I have toast and it allows multiple sessions on one disc, but it closes the sessions when it's done, not the disk. The format is readable and works really well in my experience.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    bobwbobw Posts: 49member
    I've been using the same CD-R using Toast, to backup files once a week for almost a year now. Just incremental backups.