This has probably happened to at least one of you: wife dropped her iBook . .

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Dropped her iBook . . . now the screen lights up but does not show anything . .

I started it as a firewire drive and did disk repair and everything seems to be fine with the drive . . . .

Should I try reinstalling the OS from my other computer?

I tried to start-up from the install OS disk but still nothing . . .

If the screen hardware needs to be fixed what are my options do you think?

I am near Minneapolis . . . if anybody is from there, do you know of a place that can fix it fast?

How long will it take if I need to send it to Apple?

argh!!

its a bad day . . . and I TOLD her NOT to put her iBook there!!!!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    A software reinstall won't fix that. It's gotta be a hardware issue. I don't know where you can take it to get it fixed, but this reeks of a loose connection of some sort. I wouldn't recommend very highly going in there yourself unless you know what you're doin. If you have AppleCare...I don't know if they'll fix it because it was caused by the drop...but it's worth a shot.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Don't tell anyone you dropped it. Just send it in and let them deal with it. As long as it isn't visibly broken, (and you keep your mouth shut) it will usually get fixed without the old no-dropping clause kicking in.

#1 rule in dealing with tech support: Act dumb and admit nothing.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    I second that. act like you didn't know what happened. like it just combusted in your face for no apparent reason.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

If the screen hardware needs to be fixed what are my options do you think?

I am near Minneapolis . . . if anybody is from there, do you know of a place that can fix it fast?

Definitely sounds like it's a hardware problem to me. I doubt reinstalling would help.

It'll cost to get it fixed, since it was dropped. You'll need to ask yourselves if it's worth the money to fix it, or if you should just buy a new one.

There are Apple Stores located at the Mall of America (first floor, south side) and also at the Southdale Mall in Edina (near the movie theatres). They should be able to help you out and give an estimate of what it would cost to repair. The turnaround would probably be about a week.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i'm in minneapolis.

two things.

when it boots, do you see anything at all, or nothing?

if you try to boot into open firmware, do you get the text, or is it nothing?

otherwise your best bet will be a store by the name of FirstTech. good local group who has always done a great job IMO.

of the two Apple store, the Edina store is worthless. every time i've been there i've been very underwhelmed. the Mall of America store has been better in the past, but lately i haven't been impressed with them either.

how long are you in minneapolis for?