Brilliant Savings

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple has extended the memory promotion until June 26th. Apple has also introduced the Brilliant Savings Promotion. Buy any G5 and 23" Cinema Display(At the same time) between now and June 26th and get an instant $500 off by mail.

Does this mean no G5 updates or LCD updates on Tues?

I sure hope they come soon, I'm getting killed by this Dell!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    "Between March 28, 2004, and June 26, 2004, purchase a Power Mac G5 and a 23-inch Cinema HD Display at the same time ? and get $500 back by mail."

This isnt good, hopefully the best case scenario is that Apple introduces the Power Mac G5s in May or they dont ship to G5.
  • Reply 2 of 34
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    It's ANY G5--not just the 1.6, 1.8, DP 1.8, DP 2.0. If a new G5 is announced next week with a DP 2.5, the promo still applies.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scottiB

It's ANY G5--not just the 1.6, 1.8, DP 1.8, DP 2.0. If a new G5 is announced next week with a DP 2.5, the promo still applies.

If you think this means anything other than no new powermacs until WWDC, you are deluding yourself.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    atomichamatomicham Posts: 185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scottiB

I like your optimism, but, I don't believe it will be for new machines.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Yes, this would appear to be the final nail in the coffin for any possible short term update--but--maybe it is because the new line of displays wont be ready to ship with the new line of PowerMacs.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    slssls Posts: 51member
    Why only the 23" display? Memory-offer extended until June 26th... sure looks dark for us waiting for those rev.b-models any day now.

How is the G5 sale nowadays?
  • Reply 7 of 34
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Well, when they come out with those 3.2 GHz G6's and 30" LCD's for $2399 next week they'll have to give away them G5's and the 23"ers...
  • Reply 8 of 34
    slssls Posts: 51member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bigc

Well, when they come out with those 3.2 GHz G6's and 30" LCD's for $2399 next week they'll have to give away them G5's and the 23"ers...

Oh yeah, forgot about the G6 and 30" display, which is so true that there are no rumors about them.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

If you think this means anything other than no new powermacs until WWDC, you are deluding yourself.

While that won't be my first or last time in deluding myself, the incentive is for the display--not the G5. If Apple wants to clear inventory of G5s, they'd offer a rebate on those alone without an additional purchase. There is no greater incentive, none, for anyone to purchase a G5 now than yesterday--if they don't want an Apple display.

If it were to truly clear-out G5s, the offer would also include educational/institutional purchases (it doesn't).

My guess, is simply that Apple has too many HD displays (the 20" is probably Apple's best seller and the 17", IIRC, has stopped being produced).

Truthfully, I could care less when new G5s are announced (I'm not in the market), but the wording denotes a glass-half-full interpretation, too.

However, I would agree that no new displays will be announced till WWDC.

EDIT--Edu gets $300 back, rather than $500--so my glass is getting a little emptier...

• Reply 11 of 34
    gusmangusman Posts: 17member
    I'm guessing Steve J has all his engineers working away on iMacs and G5 PBs. No sense in minor tweaks for the PowerMac line. The original line came out at a considerably faster speed than expected, so I am guessing at the Developers convention he announces updates at 2.4, 2.6, and 3.0 (even if the 3.0 doesn't ship until Sept/Oct). He place a lot of credibility on the line last year with his comments.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Quote:

While that won't be my first or last time in deluding myself, the incentive is for the display

If the incentive was for the display then the rebate would also be valid for the Powerbook. But it isn't.

I think someone just took your glass away.
  • Reply 13 of 34
    neumacneumac Posts: 93member
    Maybe someone here has a better memory than me, but I recall that Apple discounted the old 22" cinema display by about $500 shortly before they released the 23" display. The 22" then remained available for several months after the release of the 23".

Can anyone confirm if this is correct?
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by cowerd

If the incentive was for the display then the rebate would also be valid for the Powerbook. But it isn't.

Well, to use it with a PowerBook, $100 of the rebate is eaten with a DVI to ADC adapter.

Whatever.

All I've been writing is that my interpretation is as valid as any other (and I accept that I may be wrong). For those who wish to wail and gnash teeth--knock yourselves out.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    Quote:

Originally posted by neumac

Maybe someone here has a better memory than me, but I recall that Apple discounted the old 22" cinema display by about $500 shortly before they released the 23" display. The 22" then remained available for several months after the release of the 23".

Can anyone confirm if this is correct?

I can confirm that.

I bought a dual 867 and a 22" display during the promo and the 22" stayed in the line up for a couple of months.

MSKR
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by cowerd

I dont follow that logic at all.The promotion is "buy a G5 and 23 inch display and get a 500 dallor rebate".What does that have to do with any powerbook?
  • Reply 17 of 34
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    this promotion doesnt change a whole lot IMO.

for anyone thats seen an apple display, you know they rock like none other. there's really no need to update them other than for looks, which would be a huge waste of money.

even if new g5's come out, the offer still stands, and apple will still want to get "old" displays out the door before wwdc. also, wwdc would be TOO big if they did new imac's, powerbooks, powermacs, and displys. i think a more reasonable announcement will be new displays and powerbooks/imacs, whichever isnt updated first.
  • Reply 18 of 34
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

for anyone thats seen an apple display, you know they rock like none other. there's really no need to update them other than for looks, which would be a huge waste of money.

even if new g5's come out, the offer still stands, and apple will still want to get "old" displays out the door before wwdc. also, wwdc would be TOO big if they did new imac's, powerbooks, powermacs, and displys. i think a more reasonable announcement will be new displays and powerbooks/imacs, whichever isnt updated first.

Your comment has made me feel better about this whole situation. You're right... updating the whole product line would be INSANITY!! You're right... it is just aimed at the 23" displays... why not use the machine that brings in the most revenue as the money absorber. Since they make most on the powermacs... they can afford to get rid of the 23" by taking a little beating on that price... which really deserves a beating at this point.

I've seen them run promos before with brand new powermacs... If I remember right... they were selling 150dollar rio mp3 players with the brand new Quicksilvers for 35 dollars. We'll have to wait and see what happens.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

couldn't say it better than that...

unfortunately I too will be waiting, but i think it will be well worth it.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

<snip>

Sounds reasonable. If the promotion affects updated PowerMacs, the displays should fly off the shelves.

However, I tend to be more pessimistic. New Xserves were delayed dramatically. Seeing that they share much of their architecture with PowerMacs, there are 2 possibilies: a) the same problems will delay PowerMacs too, and b) the issues have been finally fixed and there is nothing to hold PowerMacs any more. PowerMacs just may have scaled-up problems, due to higher CPU clock-rate.

And even if PowerMacs are ready, whether Apple will release them now or not, depends on how they are clocked. If they reach 3GHz now, they will be released asap. If they reach only 2.9GHz, Apple will not release them until they have a 3GHz model to save Steve's face, because the 3GHz summer is quickly approaching.