Apple to lose its logo?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It is unlikely that Apple will win a logo registration dispute with China's Trademark Appraisal Committee (TAC) because the Apple logo under discussion does not have a bite taken out of it, according to experts. The long-running spat started in 2000 when Apple requested permission to use its logo for a range of clothing in China. This request was rejected because Guangdong Apples, which produces clothing, shoes and suitcases, had already registered an Apple logo of its own. Apple then decided to dispute Guangdong?s use of the said Apple logo.

Director of the Intellectual Property Research Centre at Shanghai Jiaotong University, Chen Naiwei, told China Business Weekly: "Under the current Trademark Law, it is unlikely that Apple Computer will win the case, since trademark logo rights apply only within a company's particular field."

Apple's lawyer Jia Zhanying said: "The logo of Apple Computer is well-known throughout the world and is unique from other apple logos, since its right side appears to have a good-sized bite out of it, and it has a leaf that extends to the right. The logo's design is like no other company's logo on the planet and the firm should be given dispensation for that reason."

News source:

Mac World UK

Does this mean Apple would need to change their logo to something else? This to me is very wierd , they've had that logo for a LONG time...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    apple is the plaintiff, so if they lose, i dont think anything negative happens, but this other company will be able to continue using "their" logo.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    hyperb0lehyperb0le Posts: 142member
    Yeah, nothing happens if they lose, except they will have lost a bunch of money in legal fees. I'm honestly not sure why Apple is fighting this battle if their lawyers are saying they don't have a case...
  • Reply 3 of 12
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hyperb0le

Yeah, nothing happens if they lose, except they will have lost a bunch of money in legal fees. I'm honestly not sure why Apple is fighting this battle if their lawyers are saying they don't have a case...

whan was the last time steve listened to anyone who said "you cant", in fact to the few people to say that to him over the years, he has said "your fired".
  • Reply 4 of 12
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chaser

It is unlikely that Apple will win a logo registration dispute with China's Trademark Appraisal Committee (TAC) because the Apple logo under discussion does not have a bite taken out of it, according to experts. The long-running spat started in 2000 when Apple requested permission to use its logo for a range of clothing in China. This request was rejected because Guangdong Apples, which produces clothing, shoes and suitcases, had already registered an Apple logo of its own. Apple then decided to dispute Guangdong?s use of the said Apple logo.

Director of the Intellectual Property Research Centre at Shanghai Jiaotong University, Chen Naiwei, told China Business Weekly: "Under the current Trademark Law, it is unlikely that Apple Computer will win the case, since trademark logo rights apply only within a company's particular field."

Apple's lawyer Jia Zhanying said: "The logo of Apple Computer is well-known throughout the world and is unique from other apple logos, since its right side appears to have a good-sized bite out of it, and it has a leaf that extends to the right. The logo's design is like no other company's logo on the planet and the firm should be given dispensation for that reason."

News source:

Mac World UK

Does this mean Apple would need to change their logo to something else? This to me is very wierd , they've had that logo for a LONG time...

hmmmm interesting.... sidenote: your ID is the same as a hangover pill in the US... any other connection?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    I think the winner will be the company that came out first. When did the chinese company came out. Apple came out in 1975-1979. If apple came out first apple will win. If that chinese company came out first they will win. Sorry for my grammer.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

I think the winner will be the company that came out first. When did the chinese company came out. Apple came out in 1975-1979. If apple came out first apple will win. If that chinese company came out first they will win. Sorry for my grammer.

I don't think it works that way. If they are in two different areas of the market - like computers and clothing, it doesn't matter - but if they are competing in the same market, then it does.

Since apple's logo was copyrighted in the computer field, they can't just go into another area, like clothing, and get someone in that area to drop their logo.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    psst... a_greer.

"Edit -> Spelling -> Check Spelling as You Type"

Please. Seriously.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    chaserchaser Posts: 63member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

hmmmm interesting.... sidenote: your ID is the same as a hangover pill in the US... any other connection?

Actually, Chase is my real name, and I always used Chaser for all website ID's because with just one letter added to my name it becomes a unique name that I use for example, Halo, and all website usernames. I never knew anyone who knew about "Chaser" being a hangover drug... as you do... Huh? Any other connection?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Why would Apple want to use it's logo on clothing anyway? A wearable mac perhaps?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

Why would Apple want to use it's logo on clothing anyway? A wearable mac perhaps? [/B]

I don't think Apple has any plans to use its logo in clothing sold in China. They are just so extremely protective of (and paranoid about) having ANY other company use a logo that resembles an apple in any way, shape, or form.

In other words, in this particular lawsuit, Apple Computer is playing the part of Apple Records.....
  • Reply 11 of 12
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

I don't think Apple has any plans to use its logo in clothing sold in China. They are just so extremely protective of (and paranoid about) having ANY other company use a logo that resembles an apple in any way, shape, or form.

In other words, in this particular lawsuit, Apple Computer is playing the part of Apple Records.....

Kind of reminds me of Mike Rowe Soft or whatever that was.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

Why would Apple want to use it's logo on clothing anyway? A wearable mac perhaps?

ummmmm....how about the apple store uniforms and the shirts sold/given away as promos and at expos, bet they say made in china