Awesome Photograph (and site)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A friend of mine is going to have one of his photos published in an upcoming book about digital photography....check out this amazingly cool photo of a spinning playing card....

http://www.inertia-llc.com/POM/0310-pom.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Now that is very cool.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Go look at his Quicktime VR stuff...truly awesome!
  • Reply 3 of 15
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    What I don't get is, why do the shots of the "rotating card" show the actual card in its various states as it spins across the frame... but the shot of the "sailing / tumbling" card, shows only one "still"?

Wouldn't we see various stills of the card as it twists through the air?

Something looks fishy to me, assuming they were all shot the same way.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    ganondorfganondorf Posts: 573member
    Wow, that is the most amazing thing I have ever seen.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    I have always loved long exposure photography. I used to do it a bunch, great stuff.

Time lapse photography, light painting photography, and forced perspective photography are also very awesome.

I met this photographer, she had a series of light paintings. Very amazing stuff, her subject was in a pitch black room, she set her camera for ~20 minute exposure, then she took a little mini mag-lite and painted in what she wanted. The result was absolutely stunning.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

What I don't get is, why do the shots of the "rotating card" show the actual card in its various states as it spins across the frame... but the shot of the "sailing / tumbling" card, shows only one "still"?

No, that's a single shot, with a flash at the end. You can dimly see the card, kind of blurry, as it flies through the air, and then there's one instant where the flash is flashed, and immediately afterward the shutter is closed so you don't see any more blurs.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

you jsut have to know photography to understand it. sometime take a look at how many photography books there are at a local bookstore. there's a reason for all of them.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Errr. I *do* know photography... pretty well actually, considering I have spent time as a freelance photographer and currently work in a commercial studio.

I guess what I'm saying is, based on the description of how the flash and shutter speed is used (they must be slow exposures by definition), I don't quite see how the "end over end" shot captures so many "card stills" with a single exposure (?) while the "sailing card shot captures only one.

Either the flash is not being used the same number of times, or I misread something. I suppose it could be that the speed of the card (lateral motion) could have something to do with it, if the end over end card travelled across the frame more slowly than the sailing card.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Could it be a low stutter flash before the big flash at the end?

Anyway, he just posted another AWESOME video on his site, it's a panoramic video trip around Memphis and it will BLOW YOUR MIND. I don't use drugs, but this video makes me feel like I'm tripping. Check it out!

http://www.inertia-llc.com/sandbox/3...deo/index.html
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

I have always loved long exposure photography. I used to do it a bunch, great stuff.

Time lapse photography, light painting photography, and forced perspective photography are also very awesome.

I met this photographer, she had a series of light paintings. Very amazing stuff, her subject was in a pitch black room, she set her camera for ~20 minute exposure, then she took a little mini mag-lite and painted in what she wanted. The result was absolutely stunning.

sounds cool... got links?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Unfortunately, no, I visited her studio, but this was like 3 years ago, I can't remember her name.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Either the flash is not being used the same number of times, or I misread something. I suppose it could be that the speed of the card (lateral motion) could have something to do with it, if the end over end card travelled across the frame more slowly than the sailing card.

You didn't read carefully... In the last two photographs a strobe was used instead of single second-curtain or rear-sync flash.

I remember doing an elementary school science project with strobes. Strobe photography, strobes on various things common in a household...running tap water, TV monitors, other light bulbs, on plants (long-term, as the sole source of light).
  • Reply 13 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

Could it be a low stutter flash before the big flash at the end?

Anyway, he just posted another AWESOME video on his site, it's a panoramic video trip around Memphis and it will BLOW YOUR MIND. I don't use drugs, but this video makes me feel like I'm tripping. Check it out!

http://www.inertia-llc.com/sandbox/3...deo/index.html

*Sigh*

360 One VR completely ripped off BeHere's parabolic mirror technology. I wonder what happened to BeHere's lawsuits.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Yes, it's all in the flash(es). The scene is deliberately dark so the image doesn't get over-exposed, then the lfash pulls out details at specific times. I tried a bunch of rear-sync flash stuff at a friend's wedding reception, but I repeatedly flubbed the rear-sync flash setting.

I have some nice long-exposure shots of architectural subjects, but they're more for exposing stuff in shadows than catching action in an interesting way.

I'm trying to find an online image of Picasso's "light" drawings of bulls. It's a time-lapse photo of Picasso taking a handheld light and drawing in mid-air that, when exposed, revealed a drawing of a bull. Considering that he couldn't see what he was doing, it's pretty damn amazing. I guarantee if you tried to draw a simple box in mid air without seeing the result of your strokes, you couldn't do it.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I guarantee if you tried to draw a simple box in mid air without seeing the result of your strokes, you couldn't do it.

Not at first, but when I was into this stuff, I could write my name, legibly, with lights, I picked that trick up from a friend of mine, who wrote his name with the moon and a long exposure(moving the camera)