Think positive for once...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok all you attack dogs and dogettes. I got one for you. I know it'll be hard for some, but I think it would be an interesting excercise. Pick whichever major candidate you DONT like (Bush or Kerry only please) and see if you can find something they've done or propose to do, that you DO like.

I'm pretty sure that unless you're a total partisan lacky that surely everyone can find ONE thing positive about the opposing candidate right? I dunno we'll see I guess. Please try not to be facicious or use your answer to make (too many) veiled attacks.

I'll start out:

Found this on Kerry's website in the economics area:

Quote:

Earned Legalization

John Kerry supports a proposal that will allow undocumented immigrants to legalize their status if they have been in the United States for a certain amount of time, have been working, and can pass a background check. This makes sense for the economy, provides fairness to people in our communities who have worked hard and paid taxes, and will also allow us to strengthen our homeland security by bringing undocumented workers out of the shadows and into the light of greater accountability.

That sounds like a step in the right direction to me. I like that it carries qualifications and requirements and isn't just a "pardon".

Ow that was painful.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 15
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    LOL you like that he called Kim Jong a pygmy? haha
  • Reply 3 of 15
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Georoge Bush knows the internet. Here's proof:

Quote:

You see, new ideas and new businesses and new ways to educate people in Farmington, New Mexico, are going to occur when we're able to get information flowing across cables and telephone lines in a fast way.

Happy?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    I had hoped you guys could take this somewhat seriously.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    What's not serious? I made a very dry statement and backed it up with a Bush quote. Either you: don't believe that Bush knows the internet (meaning he has no interest in improving it and spreading the wealth as it were), or you don't believe it is complimentary enough to be in this thread.

You want me to make things up, or use actual information that's available out there? It was the first thing that popped into my head, but if you'd rather I can say:

"I like George Bush because he never screams into the microphone like Howard Dean."

or

"I like George Bush because he likes dogs as pets, just like my family."
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

What's not serious? I made a very dry statement and backed it up with a Bush quote.

Maybe I just took it wrong, it seemed sarcastic to me. My apologies. I'll shuttup now and let the thread run its course.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dviant

I had hoped you guys could take this somewhat seriously.

I really can't think of anything good to say about George W. Bush that wouldn't simply be damning by faint praise. Sure, there are much worse leaders in the world, and compared to someone like, say, Saddam Hussein or Turkmenistan's "Turkmenbashi" Niyazov, Bush is a reasonably nice guy. But those few things Bush does that I approve of are pretty much limited what I'd expect as a given from a president of the US.

I can't think of a single "stand out" characteristic of Bush that I find very laudable. Even one thing he's talked about recently where I approve of the basic idea -- a manned mission to Mars -- he ruins in my viewpoint by supporting wildly inefficient approaches that sound a whole lot more like big handouts to the aerospace industry than a scientific or exploratory agenda.

Perhaps someone else can point out something about Bush that would make me briefly pause to think, "Hey, good going, George!" -- but I'm coming up dry.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I praised Bush for his commitment to NASA, but unfortunately it looks like it was just hot air.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Perhaps someone else can point out something about Bush that would make me briefly pause to think, "Hey, good going, George!" -- but I'm coming up dry.

Heheh. This could take a while, but the afternoon is young. Does George have some serious Texas cookin' skills? Chili maybe? BBQ?

I'm trying. Honestly....

• Reply 10 of 15
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

I praised Bush for his commitment to NASA, but unfortunately it looks like it was just hot air.

Yup it sounded good to me also but since he'll be out of office long before this is completed it kind of a safe bet for him isn't it?

It's easy to say " Let's throw money at the problem ". But without a solid plan ( laced with a little sincerity ) it's doomed.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Seems this thread is:

• Reply 12 of 15
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Yeah, I'd say so too. It's a nice act of diplomacy and good faith on dviant's part. The rest of you should be so magnanimous. Perhaps you still can be?

No good deed goes unpunished.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Both of them: Middle Class tax cuts

Bush: NASA plans hopefully he can refine and patch up the plan a little bit better finacially but we'll see.

Kerry: Don't really know exactly what he stands for....but I'm sure I'll agree with him on a good portion of things.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

The rest of you should be so magnanimous. Perhaps you still can be?

Have any suggestions?
  • Reply 15 of 15
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    I don't really *like* anything about Bush. I think he's quasi-fascist (which I suppose is better than fully-fascist). I think he's a very rich man whose domestic policies have further privileged other rich men- at the expense of the lower and middle classes. I don't like how Bush engenders anti-Americanism abroad. I don't like Bush's assault on the rights of women, on reproductive rights, on sex education. I can go on....

I think it's far more important to focus on how different the two candidates are- however small- because the outcome will be huge, given the power of the presidency.