Safari issues? Pop-ups getting through

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I don't know exactly what's going on, but it seems as though my "Block pop-up windows" preferences is getting unchecked somehow. I've only noticed this recently when I log onto my campus' wireless network and a pop-up gets through. I know for a fact I never uncheck it, but it seems to do it on its own. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm using Safari v.125.1.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    If the popup HTML/content source is on the same server as the page you originally went to they are free to popup all they like.

Safari only blocks popups that originate from sites other than ones you have navigated to.

So siteA can spawn a window that has content also served from siteA's domain. But if siteA tried to popup a window with content from siteB's domain, it would be blocked.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

If the popup HTML/content source is on the same server as the page you originally went to they are free to popup all they like.

Safari only blocks popups that originate from sites other than ones you have navigated to.

So siteA can spawn a window that has content also served from siteA's domain. But if siteA tried to popup a window with content from siteB's domain, it would be blocked.

Not really. Only popups that are spawned by a click on a link will open. (e.g., If I get a dialog box that I've got a personal message here and I click "ok" to view it in a new window, it doesn't work, even though both are served from AI. Only when I click a link will a popup be generated - this is how it should be.)

I should say that the pop-ups don't always come through. It's only on rare occasions and when it does happen, my preference is actually unchecked. I have no idea how that happens; I know for a fact I didn't uncheck it. I'm not sure what the deal is....
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Hey, this just happened to me...I've never had a pop-up before except for a minutes ago. Odd.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    So what sight? Can we try?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

So what sight? Can we try?

For me, it's just the wireless network logon page for my campus. I've never had it happen anywhere else (probably because I always catch it when it happens).
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Are you sure you're not accidentally pressing apple-K at some point? That's the shortcut for toggling this option.

It should be noted that there is *no way* for a few page to turn this off. The most likely reason is that you're pressing apple-K by accident. The second most likely reason is some bizarre preferences corruption by Safari, but that's really a distant second.

I have never seen this behavior happen and I use Safari on my home computer, work computer, and in the labs around campus.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Are you sure you're not accidentally pressing apple-K at some point? That's the shortcut for toggling this option.

PEBKAC!!!

Well, I'll be damned. I think that's it. I use cmd+L a lot to get to the address bar and I've been known to stray a key in any direction (cmd+, happens a fair bit). Thanks. It's always the most obvious thing. (I never even knew there was a key combo for it since I just leave it on all the time.)
  • Reply 8 of 10

Figured as much.

Glad to be of service.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    I think PEBKAC is the single most important term I have learnt this year!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    fiddlerfiddler Posts: 36member
    Huh, this always happened to me too. Yes, it's probably cmd-K. Damn sloppy fingers..