My iPod is acting weird...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Just now my iPod decided to freeze up. I have a 3rd gen iPod so I tried resetting it by pressing Play/Pause and Menu. When it was done resetting the battery level was dangerously low and before it crapped out on me it was at about half way. Any ideas as to why that happened? Would getting it serviced be a good idea? It's still under warranty.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    resetting takes a lot of battery power--no surprise it died on you. plug it into your computer and do a software restore (restores to factory condition). problem solved.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

resetting takes a lot of battery power--no surprise it died on you. plug it into your computer and do a software restore (restores to factory condition). problem solved.

Hmm.. Okay.. Thanks... I guess I'll have to wait till I get home. Software restore won't remove any of my iPod's contents will it?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

Hmm.. Okay.. Thanks... I guess I'll have to wait till I get home. Software restore won't remove any of my iPod's contents will it?

actually it wipes it all out. make sure you back up anything that isnt in itunes or isync.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    jpolkjpolk Posts: 2member
    Do you have any other firewire devices hooked up to your mac when you sync your iPod?

I had similar problems with my iPod and called Apple and we finally (after I sent the silly thing to them for repair) discovered that my iSight was causing the conflict. So unplugging my iSight from my Mac and plugging in the iPod worked fine. Unfortunately it means that every time I want to sync my iPod I have to reach around back and disconnect my iSight. Oh well.

So it seems that certain firewire devices screw up the connection to your iPod. You'll want to disconnect every other firewire device before syncing (I don't know if that includes firewire drives, but I DO know it includes all firewire cameras).

I hope this works for you.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by jpolk

Do you have any other firewire devices hooked up to your mac when you sync your iPod?

I had similar problems with my iPod and called Apple and we finally (after I sent the silly thing to them for repair) discovered that my iSight was causing the conflict. So unplugging my iSight from my Mac and plugging in the iPod worked fine. Unfortunately it means that every time I want to sync my iPod I have to reach around back and disconnect my iSight. Oh well.

So it seems that certain firewire devices screw up the connection to your iPod. You'll want to disconnect every other firewire device before syncing (I don't know if that includes firewire drives, but I DO know it includes all firewire cameras).

I hope this works for you.

It's really not that important. Thanks though. ^^ I'll keep that in mind. Oddly enough though, I waited awhile after the reset and it seems to have had recharged a little. Weird.