The "Joe American" Mentality, in a nutshell...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
...and we wonder why politicians behave the way they do. I caught this in a Chicago Tribune article this morning, in reference to how candidates are now targeting specific TV show audiences for their ads.

Quote:

Candidates are pretty much sold like toothpaste today with marketing techniques taken from the business world," said Ken Warren, who studies political communication at St. Louis University. "Thirty-second commercials can be very, very effective. Some Americans learn more from the 30-second commercials than from anything else.

I don't know which part of the commentary is more disturbing: that the average voter doesn't have enough interest to find sources more useful than a 30 second ad... or that the local news / national news won't tell you anything you don't already hear in said ads.

More proof for the need of "qualified democracy".

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i totally agree. a much larger percentage of people than i would like to think are just simply stupid. nevertheless, our economy depends on all the stupid people with money buying things they think they need, and advertising moves that money. in a few years when i work at chiat/day, i'll be sure to do my best to make better commericals.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    "Fair and balanced news, coming at you at the speed of live!"
  • Reply 3 of 38
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Fox... all the news that fit to spew.

Fair and balanced half-truths and innuendo, more like.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    You can include the rest in that category, too.

The CLOSEST news that I've seen to being as fair as possible is ABC. NBC is next, and the rest are a DISTANT 3rd.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    We should always take the opinion of one person as the rule.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Rule? Who said it was a rule?

It's an indication of the thought process that goes into winning a Presidential election. [These guys are now using pure marketing fluff to form public opinion, rather than say a rigorous debate of the issues, or even a rigourous report issued to the public (footnotes and all). It's also about the thought process of the average Joe, who -- I certainly agree --] would rather watch Fear Factor and a 30 second ad, than get his election data and voting insights from say, The News Hour on PBS.

You dispute that general notion??
  • Reply 7 of 38
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    The average Joe doesn't vote. I don't agree that TeeVee ads is the main way people form an opinion about a canidate. What was posted above was the opinion of one person. It's almost meaningless.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Obviously, we're talking about the average Joe who *does* vote. The uninformed vote, if you prefer (regardless of which party it might be for).

And that opinion is no more worthless than yours or mine. In point of fact, the guy studies this stuff for a living AFAICT and is apparently a worthy enough source for a respectable paper like the Trib... so maybe, just maybe, his opinion is worth *more* than yours or mine.

No one is saying this is a rigorous analysis of the voting public's behavior. We're just saying these 30 second spots and the way elections are run on television in general, makes a mockery of democracy. Cheapens every vote affected by the same....
  • Reply 9 of 38
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Goes to vote + drops wife off at Wal-Mart + picks up 6 - pack + turns on ESPN = Average Joe

• Reply 10 of 38
    ganondorfganondorf Posts: 573member
    I am officially renouncing my support for democracy.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    But? but? we're not a democracy.

The answer is, of course, education. Education done in 30 second spots.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Democracy is good, but only if applied correctly. We have bell curves and weighting systems for everything else we do in life... why not voting?

["I see here Mr. Jones that you're a member of the 'college educated, but highly unmotivated, ESPN junkies under 30 demographic.' Here's your ballot to cast your seven-tenths of a vote.

Oh, and please go to the blue booths over there. The yellow booths are for the people with four-tenths ballots."]

• Reply 13 of 38
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    "Correctly" meaning with guaranteed outcomes that fit certain individual points of view.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    More like: you can get your ballot and one vote... but only if you can prove you know more about the American system of government and general hot-button issues, than your typical [astute and studious] 6th grader.

Joe American doesn't.

• Reply 15 of 38
    I support dictatorship.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Ya know what's needed to turn out the vote? I say the reincarnation of Napoleon needs to perform a coup d'é·tat. Living under a ruthless dictator would probably do wonders for America, and then when we get sick of him, we toss him out an reestablish a republic. I bet more people would vote then. That, or we bitch slap every single damn politician, send em to Canada, and put some regular people in charge. People who wouldn't worry about who will be contributing to them come the next election.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

I support dictatorship.

So do I. As long as I'm the dictator.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by jesperas

Do do I. As long as I'm the dictator.

I support jesperas.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    "I am Arthur, your Dictator."

"Well I didn't vote for you..."

"You don't vote for a Dictator!"

I support Jesperas, but only if he is successful in his takeover bid.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    jesperasjesperas Posts: 524member
    My slogan:

"Support jesperas for Dictator! Because if you don't, and he takes over, you'll be the first one he goes after."

Whaddya think? Too wordy?