Finally got an iPod...anything I should do or know?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Got the 15GB model (sans Dock, case and wired remote). But that's cool because I'm not a fan of Apple's case, I don't see the appeal of the remote and I ended up buying the dock separately (may or may not keep it...not sure).

I've got just under 10GB of music (and that's with EVERYONE I love accounted for: Beatles, Steve Earle, Petty, Crow, Lucinda, Byrds, Dwight, Isaak and more and more). 2,419 songs.

So I figure I can safely add another 1,000 or so songs before I hit any 15GB ceiling, right? And with all my CD collection already encoded and in that 9.69GB group, I'm pretty much down to just buying individual songs and maybe the occasional album from the iTMS. I don't think I'm in any danger of filling up 5GB any time soon (it's taken me YEARS just to get to 10GB).

So, for the first time iPod plugger-inner, anything cool and secret I should do? Any sort of battery priming/calibrating stuff? Any sort of software install? I just set it on the Dock and iTunes knows it's there and it does it's thing?

I'm just happy I have one finally. Been putting it off for months. Knowing how long it'll take me to fill up 15GB, paying the extra $100 for the 20GB just bothered me (plus being stuck with two accessories I care nothing about). I would've felt like I "overbought"...and that bugs me more than not getting anything at all.

Gonna get one of those iSkin eVo cases, I guess. They have a new orange one, just out, so...

Anyway, any iPod tips or inside dirt is appreciated!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Well, it's about friggin' time! Between you and escher going back and forth all the time about getting stuff....

Congrats!
  • Reply 2 of 38
    mattjohndrowmattjohndrow Posts: 1,618member
    Pod2Go

that's essential!
  • Reply 3 of 38
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Gotta second the vote for Pod2Go. It's a great app and the developer is really responsive.

I must be the only person that uses the wired remote.

\

I don't know, I leave the iPod on the strap of my messenger bag and use the remote to cycle through songs.

Oh, last thing you should know. Be prepared to have your free time completely changed forever. Having all of your music at your finger tips at any time is so liberating that you'll never be able to go back.

In other words enjoy.

• Reply 4 of 38
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I just installed Pod2Go and that is a gem of a program. One more program I wish could be exported to the iPod is BarWare. I think that would be an awesome program for an iPod. But it has not happened yet.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Get used to turning it off when done! So easy to forget.

Ideally it should be smart and detect the insertion of an audio jack but turn off after 30 seconds or so if it is unattached to anything. But no.

Apple is saving that for a future version no doubt (you have to roll-in the alien technology slowly over decades so no one realizes it's alien technology).
  • Reply 6 of 38
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    iPod's been connected, songs transferred over. I ran the Software Update and the iPod 2.1 updater came up, so I ran it. Fine.

Okay, a couple of things:

1. I tried to put my Address Book and iCal info on the iPod via iSync. It goes through it's little routine, then a warning box pops up saying "iPod isn't found", even though I've got it in the Dock (iTunes sees it).

2. Right now, on the iPod, I get this blinking "Do not disconnect" message, accompanied by the international "no" symbol (circle with diagonal slash). How/when do I disconnect my iPod? I don't want to mess anything up.

There is no iPod dock on my desktop and it's also not in iTunes. Should I maybe restart the PowerBook?
  • Reply 7 of 38
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    I am utterly, utterly speechless.

Oh OK I'm not. Wow! And what an excellent choice getting the 15GB. Gee I forgot the 15 is now bottom line model and doesn't come with the accessories. Personally, I like a case that will withstand drops. My initial reaction to the remote was "what a piece of crap" but I actually use it from time to time. But then I have a Wonderbag and you almost certainly don't.

I think iPods make you buy more music. So beware.

I'm in the "hey Apple what the hell's the dock for camp" although I do use it when syncing.

Charging off mains power is much quicker.

Mine turns off as it's supposed to with speakers or headphones attached.

Don't be too precious with it (but that's just a personal thing I have going with Apple's stuff in general).

El mucho congratulations!
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

iPod's been connected, songs transferred over. I ran the Software Update and the iPod 2.1 updater came up, so I ran it. Fine.

1. I tried to put my Address Book and iCal info on the iPod via iSync. It goes through it's little routine, then a warning box pops up saying "iPod isn't found", even though I've got it in the Dock (iTunes sees it).

2. Right now, on the iPod, I get this blinking "Do not disconnect" message, accompanied by the international "no" symbol (circle with diagonal slash). How/when do I disconnect my iPod? I don't want to mess anything up.

There is no iPod dock on my desktop and it's also not in iTunes. Should I maybe restart the PowerBook?

Try removing your iPod from the iSync list and adding it again.

If you get the do not disconnect, you can try hitting the eject button that pops up when you select the iPod from the iTunes source list. But it sounds like iSync may be the culprit. Oh, last note, if you have enabled FW mode, you can eject the iPod from the Finder.

Also, if the iPod is not showing up while it is attached, try restarting the iPod while it's connected by holding down both the play/pause and the menu buttons.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:

1. Not quite sure what's happening there. You should see an iPod icon in iSync.

2. You need to eject it. Bottom right hand button in iTunes

Don't know what the last line means.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Gotta second the vote for Pod2Go. It's a great app and the developer is really responsive.

I must be the only person that uses the wired remote.

I do too. I leave my 'pod in my messenger bag and do the controlling with the remote. I actually had to look for an older remote for my original 5gig. Got it for xmas (it was like $14 or something).
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Oh. My. Gosh.

Okay, this little chunk of plastic is just the neatest thing ever invented. What a cool feeling, knowing that every bit of music you own is right there in your hand.

I'm really gonna enjoy this...
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Quote:

Oh. My. Gosh.

Okay, this little chunk of plastic is just the neatest thing ever invented. What a cool feeling, knowing that every bit of music you own is right there in your hand.

I'm really gonna enjoy this...

Finally the penny drops.

You deserve a good slap, you really do.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Ha, if I had a nickel for every time...

Hey, a quick and easy question: what kind of battery life/performance can I realistically expect? I know Apple likes to say 5,833 hours or some nonsense for marketing purposes, but what's the real deal?

On a full charge, would it last a workday (8 hours)? It's sitting in its cradle now, showing the "Charging" animation, so I was just curious...
  • Reply 14 of 38
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    If you turn the backlight off, the EQ's off and use headphones I can get about 5 hours. (Not that I listen for 5 straight hours. You know, class is only 2.5 hours long.) I also have a iTrip (an FM transmitter) and I noticed a drop in battery time when I use that.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    I rarely listen to the iPod for more than 4 hours at a time, but I've never had it die when I needed it. Under normal listening, 1-2 hours a day, I usually go 3 days with needing a recharge.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    30gb poddy with mostly 192k aac's I get about 5 hrs on a really good week split over 4 or 5 days.. (sometimes less depending on button tapping)

p.s. Riding my pushy while iPodding I love the wired remote tho to use is bad for battery life !
  • Reply 17 of 38
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    My pod has lasted me the entirety of a flight from LA to Boston, including 1 hour downtime, and 15 minutes train ride home.

total time of ~8 hours.

Of course, I had to listen to music really quietly near the end.

here's a tip, set your playlist, and stick with it. The more the Pod has to access the HD, the less battery life you will get. I find that whenever I am indecisive about what I want to listen to, quite often, and I end up cycling through 10-15 songs, I really taxes the battery life.

also, if you have a good pair of headphones that block out external sound fairly well, the quieter it is, the less power it needs for volume, that'll save you a lot of power.

I experimented with different contrast settings to see if one would be more taxing, but I'm not really sure how those displays work in that sense, so I dunno what is best.

oh yeah, congrats on your rad purchase, I hope you enjoy it, I know I use mine a ton!
  • Reply 18 of 38
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    I can get around 8 hours when not using the backlight. But, that was before I started keeping the dock at work with an extra cable. That way I never have to worry about the battery and it's fully charged for an after work run.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    A couple tricks to lengthen battery life:

As has already been mentioned, turn it off when not in use.

Also, if you aren't using the time / date / alarm features, do a reset after disconnecting from the computer. On 2G iPods this was done by holding the menu & play/pause keys for a few seconds. This shuts off the internal clock so it doesn't drain the battery even when the iPod is off.

I don't use mine every second of the day so I end up recharging it maybe once or twice a week.

Oh yeah, mine's hit the 18 month mark and the battery is still going strong *knocks on wood*.

Enjoy! Glad you got a model that'll hold all your tunes.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Thanks for the info.

Hey, if I got this, I could just plug it in to my work G4 and into my iPod during the day, so it's constantly charging?