Apple told to halt 'world's fastest' claims for G5

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Here's the link on ZDNet...

Ah. ZDNet. I haven't been there in a while. Nothing's changed. They keep reporting the flaws of Microsoft yet patronize them every chance they get. And though this was probably a little too late to be of anything earth shattering...it still stinks of DELL.

"The Council of Better Business Bureaus has recommended that Apple Computer discontinue comparative performance claims regarding its Power Mac G5 desktop.

Acting on a tip from Apple rival Dell, the council's National Advertising Division (NAD) "determined that the evidence provided by Apple did not provide a reasonable basis for its broad unqualified claims that its Power Mac G5 is 'the world's fastest, most powerful personal computer' and that it 'edged out the competition on integer.'"

" A Dell representative said in an e-mail: We "notified NAD because we felt there were some inaccuracies in Apple's advertisement and wanted to act on behalf of consumers in the marketplace who deserve accurate information on which to base their purchase decisions...Essentially, we felt that clarity in the marketplace benefits consumers, and NAD agreed."

Comments? Was Apple...lying? Where are the Integers of Mass Computation?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    They took off all "World's Fastest Personal Computer" ads on TV and other places and images of the site long ago. The ads were banned in the UK at the end of last year too.. they stopped using that slogan when the Dual 1.8 came out.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Now we have the more concrete, less-objectionable Bob Levitus claim: "It's the fastest Mac I've ever used in my entire life"

Good! I would hope it is faster than any other Mac
  • Reply 3 of 14
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    of course, when the dual 3Ghz comes out, expect the claims to come right back.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Joe Isuzu hates the CBBB.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    adpowersadpowers Posts: 188member
    Thanks, Dell, for keeping advertising honest. The very same Dell that made a comparison using music encoded at 64 kbps for the Dell DJ and 128 kbps for the iPod, just to make it look like the DJ held twice as many songs (even though they had the same size hard drive).

adpowers
  • Reply 6 of 14
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Quote:

Thanks, Dell, for keeping advertising honest. The very same Dell that made a comparison using music encoded at 64 kbps for the Dell DJ and 128 kbps for the iPod, just to make it look like the DJ held twice as many songs (even though they had the same size hard drive).

Just what I was thinking of. Maybe Apple should call them out on that one...
  • Reply 7 of 14
    eric jeric j Posts: 43member
    Who cares?

We are all prisoners of our preconceptions.

Believe in yourself. Be a skeptic.Challenge all slogans.

Ask yourself:

Who is saying this?

What are they saying?

Why are they saying it now?

What benefit will accrue to them from saying this?

"I have 6 honest serving men, they taught me all I knew, their names are

What? and where? and when? and why? and how? and who?

Rudyard Kipling

IMHO most of these claims - whether from Apple or others - are communications noise. Apply your best filter. Relax, sit back and wait.

Today's news is tomorrow's history. Time will tell. And for most of us it makes no difference anyway.

Peace

eric j
  • Reply 8 of 14
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    ah yes...

skeptically believe in yourself...
  • Reply 9 of 14
    eric jeric j Posts: 43member
    billybobsky,

A kind of meta-skeptisism. I fully agree.

eric j
  • Reply 10 of 14
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Well, since the Prescott doesn't seem to be much of an improvement despite the 1MB cache, I'm not sure where Dell is coming from given that they use Intel exclusively, unless that's been changed recently.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    I don't see whats the problem here. Its the G5 sloagan. Like chevys " Like a rock"its curtainly not like a rock. A rock can get hit by a car and not be damaged.On the other hand when chevys get hit by a car, they get severly damaged. So I say let apple keep that slogan.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Wait a few months...the claim will be back, and perhaps with little room for dispute.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

I don't see whats the problem here. Its the G5 sloagan. Like chevys " Like a rock"its curtainly not like a rock. A rock can get hit by a car and not be damaged.On the other hand when chevys get hit by a car, they get severly damaged. So I say let apple keep that slogan.

From 6th grade English class:

sim·i·le ( n: )

A figure of speech in which two essentially unlike things are compared, often in a phrase introduced by like or as...

(Demonstrating your "logic" skills, be that about Chevys and rocks, or ::cough:: assassinating Bill Gates, MIGHT, just MIGHT earn you the ire of the majority of board members.)
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

["The Council of Better Business Bureaus has recommended that...

The BBB is nothing but a money scam, as a business you got to pay to join them, and then you got to pay them to shut them up...