Seinfeld and Superman

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    oh man cool site.

i heard last night he's considering a new sit-com.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I love it!

I'd actually just settle for watching the adventures of Jerry & Supes. You could have different spots every week....Ben Stiller and Batman, Rosanne Barr and Wonder Woman, Al Roker and Green Lantern.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fran441

http://www.jerry.digisle.tv/room.html

I laugh at the old Seinfeld to this day (watch it daily still) and yet, no offense, I did not laugh one single time during "Uniform", so I pray it has nothing to do with a new TV series. I realize it's likely just a commercial thing and not series prototype.

But I found the whole thing kinda sad, lonely, claustrophobic, self-indulgent and it reeked of trying-too hard. (Is lack of females and laughtrack really that important to me? Guess so.)

I didn't get why Superman is doing things for Jerry (yet he clearly isn't merely in his imagination in a dancing baby kind of way). It's so contrived it makes George's butler idea seem hilarious in comparison.

Fair disclosure, I hate animation mixed into live action, always have. Roger Rabbit, Spaceghost, Scooby movies etc. So feel free to discount my opinion.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    johnq, it's an American Express promotion. Seinfeld has been a spokesman for the company for a number of years.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by mlnjr

johnq, it's an American Express promotion. Seinfeld has been a spokesman for the company for a number of years.

"I realize it's likely just a commercial thing and not series prototype."
  • Reply 6 of 11
    "I pray it has nothing to do with a new TV series."

Your point?

I was merely trying to tell you it has nothing to do with a new TV series.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    My point was that I realize it's likely just a commercial and not a series prototype, but, if it were, I would be sad because I did not laugh. The remainder of my criticism stands whether its merely an ad (as it clearly was, in part) or a hint/tease of upcoming series (with some ad content mixed into it).

Do we really know if it isn't at all an idea for a show, even in the most farfetched regions of Jerry's brain? He has the money to pull it off, that's for sure.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Well I think it would be silly to presume that it's associated with a new show, given all of the references to the credit card company in the movies as well as on the main page of the site (click on the Amex card on the table and you'll get to sign up for an Amex card.) Content on the site is copyrighted by American Express, as seen in the lower left corner.

I seem to remember reading a news story in the last couple years about a new show in development where products would be featured prominently, and using a WebTV device of some kind you could highlight the products on the screen (in someone's sitcom living room, let's say) and get more information about it or buy it or whatever. I don't think this Seinfeld/Superman promotion has anything to do with that, though.

Fun thing to do: watch an episode of Seinfeld and see how many times you can spot the image of Superman.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Well, I'm sorry that some people didn't think it was that funny, and I'm sorry some people don't like that it was an ad (although the ad wasn't even the main focus of it).

I thought it was very well done. The production values must have been really big, especially the whole, Oh yes! Wyoming! theatrical.

I just wanted people to have a good laugh. I can safely say it's a lot better than what I've seen on network TV lately.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I wasn't saying it wasn't very well done. The entire effort is high quality including the site. Everyone did enjoy it, except me, as far as humor. I don't think any of us cared it was an ad per se. Advertainment is fine usually.

Don't let me pop your balloon , I was just airing my concern based on originally misunderstanding it's purpose ("merely an ad?" vs. "possible future show?"). Had it been a show I just felt it lacked the guffaws I've come to expect from Seinfeld, that's all. (I know it's not a show! Just explaining my original problem)

Even if it were to be a show I expect it would be refined and probably turn out okay, as all great shows like Seinfeld and Simpsons have their rough spots first time around.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    ganondorfganondorf Posts: 573member
    Seinfeld is overrated, and I don't appreciate Superman being treated like Space Ghost, nor is it an inherently funny concept like Space Ghost.

I didn't laugh either. I wanted to, but it just sucked. Seinfeld the show was great, but it was the show that was great, and not necessarily Jerry Seinfeld.