Ejected Volumes Stick in Sidebar 10.3.3.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I seem to have a problem where any volume that is mounted stays in my Sidebar even when it has been ejected. I have the computer listed in the Sidebar so that I can quickly check to make sure that the volume has really been ejected...it doesn't show up there after its been ejected.

I tried deleting the com.apple.sidebarlists.plist but that didn't do anything. I've repaired permissions as well.

Anybody have an ideas?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    itunes is terrible about removing imported cd's from the desktop. i wrote apple about it, but nothing was changed for 10.3.3, so whatever. anyways, this was kinda useless for you.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I get the same problem too! Powerbook 12" and 10.3.3. I have it occur with Disk Mountable Images, though the one that drives me INSANE and POSTAL is with burnt CD's in iTunes.

I insert my blank media, and the CD mounts on the desktop. I then click burn in iTunes for the playlist i want. What I get then is a SECOND CD on the desktop when its finished. I will then click eject from WITHIN iTunes, and one dissapears from the desktop.

But (theres always a but) there is still one disk on the desktop.. the original one from when I inserted the media. If I try to drag it to the trash to eject it, the trash turns to the burn symbol. I drop it on the burn symbol and am forced to click Eject. Dodgy!!

Either way these icons also appear in my sidebar. Its annoying and confusing. The first time it happened I thought I hadnt burnt the CD correctly.

Is this a known bug or do I have a PEBKAU?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    schmidm77schmidm77 Posts: 223member
    Yeah, I get this with disk utility as well. My blank CD-R (whatever) shows up on the desktop and after burning the disk with an image, the new icon shows up as it should but the blank CD-R icon is still there as well. I am running 10.3.3. It's not really a big deal to me, but you would think that Apple would fix something like that.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I think I fixed my own bug. If I just click Burn in iTunes, when it asks for the media I insert it, it burns, and then I eject it, I only end up with one Disc mounted on the Desktop/Sidebar.

I think by putting the CD in first, Im creating a volume I can drag files to write to via the Finder, and then going into iTunes it also creates a volume with the burnt music on it. The Finder just isnt told that the same piece of media has been used for both.

And thats my complicated expert opinion!

• Reply 5 of 6
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    I even have a JPG as a 'mounted drive' in my sidebar, and I can't even remove it because he 'can't find the original'. Disk Utiltity didn't help. Let try fsck \
  • Reply 6 of 6
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Fsck'in didn't help either, but throwing away com.apple.sidebarlists.plist did. Good tip, QNational !