Xserve G5 has arrived!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I got my single G5 Xserve today.

benchmark results here: (looks like I'm the first true Xserve G5-computer name is 'media').

http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/csi.xh...chineTypeID=18

If you have any questions about the unit, let me know...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ganondorfganondorf Posts: 573member
    Can it do tricks?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    m01etym01ety Posts: 278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

Can it do tricks?

Does it bark?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Pretty impressive if I do say so myself.

Beat up on a bunch of Dual G4s

Came pretty close to the Dual G5s

And it owned that little G3 @ 900mhz

What do you think about it? Have you been happy with the performance? How are you using it?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    PIX PLZ THX
  • Reply 5 of 7
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    It does do tricks...like it fits perfectly between a couple of mammoth Pentium II-based Compaq servers.

It's gonna be doing light duty web, database, and streaming media services on our intranet...plus and Mac-related IT stuff (creating/serving netboot images). At some point, I might try getting it to handle making all network logins the same on Windows and Mac. By the way, does anyone have any idea how to do that?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

At some point, I might try getting it to handle making all network logins the same on Windows and Mac. By the way, does anyone have any idea how to do that?

I'm assuming since it's an xServe it came with OS X server. That should take care of network boots and things like that. Read the stuff that came with OS X server and set up from there.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

It does do tricks...like it fits perfectly between a couple of mammoth Pentium II-based Compaq servers.

It's gonna be doing light duty web, database, and streaming media services on our intranet...plus and Mac-related IT stuff (creating/serving netboot images). At some point, I might try getting it to handle making all network logins the same on Windows and Mac. By the way, does anyone have any idea how to do that?

You can have your Mac users log in with a server based account (as opposed to local accounts). Now if you're saying you have the Windows user login via Active Directory and want to integrate the Mac users into the AD, you can do that too, but it's a bit more complex.

Go here.

Screed