final cut express 2 on iBook G4

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
anyone running FCE 2 on iBook G4?

I would like some user experience, like smoothness,... etc.

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    i can already tell you your biggest problems will arise from hard drive speed and not enough ram. the ibook isnt meant to be a power laptop, simple as that. i think you'll be able to do some video editing on it, but dont expect very good performance.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    firehcfirehc Posts: 368member
    thnaks for the reply,

that's what i ve been thinking.

what if i max out the ram and with an external hd
  • Reply 3 of 6
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    If you max the ram (a 1gb dimm would be the best in the slot, but it's $$$) and the external HD isn't a bad idea, but the iBooks drives are 4200rpm, not nearly fast enough to do FCE stuff. iMovie would be a better bet. FCE will run, but not great. FCE (despite the name) is a Pro application. Well, maybe prosumer. It's aimed at people who want more power than iMovie, but FCP is overkill. It's a big, relatively powerful app that is meant to be run on a PB or PM. And the iBook G4 lacks a L3 Cache, which will hurt video editing from what I understand.

To make a long story short, it'll run, it'll get the job done...but it's not the computer for the job.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    ...what DMB said.

Oh and note that you can only get 640 megs of total RAM in the iBook... this is made up of the onboard 128 and a 512meg so-dimm. I am not sure if a 1gig so-dimm will work because Apple's site states that it can only go to 640. (does anyone have 1gig+ of memory in their iBook??) But you are better off getting a PowerBook with the money you would spend on a 1gig so-dimm.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    firehcfirehc Posts: 368member
    hmm...thanks for the reply.

a PB is a better choice for running FCE then.....
  • Reply 6 of 6
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    Quote:

Originally posted by firehc

hmm...thanks for the reply.

a PB is a better choice for running FCE then.....

yup, and try to upgrade your hard drive RPM and RAM as much as you can