start up sound

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
do anyone know where the startup sound file of panther locates?

i am thinking if it is possible to say sth like "good morning, fire" whenever i start the machine.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    The startup file your Mac plays did not come with Panther, nor is it available somewhere on your hard-drive. It's hard-coded (well, burned) into the ROM of your computer.

Can't be changed. Sorry.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    do a search... the answer lies within...

(more complete then Defiant's explanation anyway )
  • Reply 3 of 16
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    you CAN change the startup screen image though
  • Reply 4 of 16
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    On the subject of startup sounds...who want's the death chime back?

Old Mac guys will remember what I'm talking about. When you had a system crash it would play some sound at you, that sound was affectionately named "the death chime." I want it back, so if this baby ever Kernal panics (which it never does) I get to hear it too.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

On the subject of startup sounds...who want's the death chime back?

Old Mac guys will remember what I'm talking about. When you had a system crash it would play some sound at you, that sound was affectionately named "the death chime." I want it back, so if this baby ever Kernal panics (which it never does) I get to hear it too.

The chimes of death have essentially been replaced with beeps. I do miss the car crash from my Power Mac 6100, though.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Oh, yeah, because it was sooooooo great to hear that sound when things went south.

Happened to me once. Almost died of a coronary right there.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Happened to me once. Almost died of a coronary right there.

Ah yes... the sweet sounds of breaking glass. The death chimes predate that IIRC, but nontheless you knew it was gonna be a long afternoon when you were serenaded with that!

Do-do-doo--do--do-do-do...

• Reply 8 of 16
    Here's a couple that I have.

http://commons.ucalgary.ca/king/startup/CrQuadraAV.mov

http://commons.ucalgary.ca/king/star...werMacCard.mov

The one for Centris/Quadra 660av and 840av was pretty cool!
  • Reply 9 of 16
    bluerabbitbluerabbit Posts: 105member
    Here is a site with lots of startup sounds: http://home.golden.net/~samu/maccour...rtupStuff.html
  • Reply 10 of 16
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    MacTracker also contains all of the startup sounds and death chimes for every Mac model.

plus is a damn useful app.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    yes i know how i can get more startup sounds but how do i change it i am not 1337 3nough to d0 it
  • Reply 12 of 16
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    you can't change it. it's hard coded.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    closest thing to a "starup sound" that i can remember is from somewhere around quicktime 2.5, you could put a movie file in the system folder called "starup movie.mov" and when quicktime loaded in the extension parade, it would pasue startup and play this movie, be it just sound or video and sound.

i had great fun with this in middle school, sneaking in a starup movie that said "Its official: You SUCK!" into half of the computers in the lab. ahh, those were the days.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

i had great fun with this in middle school, sneaking in a starup movie that said "Its official: You SUCK!" into half of the computers in the lab. ahh, those were the days.

Yeah, we used to change the alert sounds in the writing lab with our recorded voices... using headphones in the microphone jack. It worked.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

Yeah, we used to change the alert sounds in the writing lab with our recorded voices... using headphones in the microphone jack. It worked.

Haha. I did that all the time, except I brought in a mic that I had with my 6400. It was a good time. I also downloaded Simpsons sounds (Homer: Woo-hoo and D'oh and stuff like that)

Crank the volume, good times.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    bummmer i wish it could?my speakers work fine but the sound on the starts always messes up\ \ \ i'm confused please help