Letterman vs Bush vs CNN

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I saw this second clip the other night on Letterman and now found both clips online..... I thought some of you might find it amusing.

clip 1

clip 2

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Reminds me of when Rudy had his son on stage when they swore him in as Mayor.
  • Reply 2 of 69
    johnrpjohnrp Posts: 357member
    I saw this live (well kinda we get it all a day late here in the UK)

So funny
  • Reply 3 of 69
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Is there a big switch in the basement of the White House marked "lie" and "tell the truth" that's gotten stuck on "lie"?

They're lying about things that it makes no sense to lie about, in situations that have no upside (and no, I don't think CNN just happened to get the notion that "the White House" was telling them something that they weren't).
  • Reply 4 of 69
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Oh come on, CNN can't report their way out of a wet paper bag. They screwed up. Big deal.

Keep moving along folks, nothing to see here.
  • Reply 5 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Oh come on, CNN can't report their way out of a wet paper bag. They screwed up. Big deal.

Keep moving along folks, nothing to see here.

So you think that "we are now being told by the White House etc" is a CNN screwup? How do you figure?
  • Reply 6 of 69
    Agreed...this was totally CNN making a poor call. Why whould the Bushies even bother lying about this?
  • Reply 7 of 69
    Agreed w/ Kickaha's comment that is...I think CNN reported that the White House made a claim that the White House didn't actually make.
  • Reply 8 of 69
    Yeah addabox, where are you getting your info? Seriously...

Letterman shows video.

CNN talking head says it was faked.

CNN later apologizes.

Are you saying that the White House fed CNN the false info? Anything to back that up? Or is just speculation?

I mean c'mon, it's like CNN has *NEVER* gotten anything wrong or pulled anything out of their ass...

"And you can see Columbia here, doing seventeen times the speed of light, just before breakup..."

I heard it with my own ears.
  • Reply 9 of 69
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

And no, I don't think CNN just happened to get the notion that "the White House" was telling them something that they weren't.

Yeah, the White House made the worse call.
  • Reply 10 of 69
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    letterman "The White House is trying to make me look like a dope"

i doubt this, dave makes a dope out of himself verry well each night at 11:35,, the White House has bigger fish to fry:

LONG LIVE LENO
  • Reply 11 of 69
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    OWNED. This IS a big deal when you look at the larger context.

Proof positive the news media is part of the political machine by virtue of their poor reporting standards.

They reported not once -- but TWICE -- a lie that the Whitehouse fed them, without ever verifying the same with CBS. Had they acted like REAL journalists, they would've talked to the Whitehouse the first time, gotten their story, then talked to CBS, found out that the kid was there and did all the things he was depicted as doing, THEN they would have reported the story like someone with cahones and said:

"After footage shown on the David Letterman show depicting.... the Whitehouse claimed that the child was not at the event and was in fact added into the footage for comic effect... however CBS has stated for the record that the child was present and was not edited in any way, shape or form. A copy of the original tape and details was provided to CNN. The Whitehouse declined further comment."

I.E. - the Whitehouse will stop feeding lies to networks like CNN, when CNN does their fvcking homework and verifies what they report ahead of time. There is no excuse for this in professional journalism. Period.

And don't think for one second that this kind of crap doesn't go on every single day... only with serious issues, not Letterman footage.

Time to wake up, America.
  • Reply 12 of 69
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

letterman "The White House is trying to make me look like a dope"

i doubt this, dave makes a dope out of himself verry well each night at 11:35,, the White House has bigger fish to fry:

LONG LIVE LENO

ick. watching Leno makes me sick. He definitely dishes out "lowest common denominator" humor.
  • Reply 13 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

OWNED. This IS a big deal when you look at the larger context.

Proof positive the news media is part of the political machine by virtue of their poor reporting standards.

They reported not once -- but TWICE -- a lie that the Whitehouse fed them, without ever verifying the same with CBS. Had they acted like REAL journalists, they would've talked to the Whitehouse the first time, gotten their story, then talked to CBS, found out that the kid was there and did all the things he was depicted as doing, THEN they would have reported the story like someone with cahones and said:

"After footage shown on the David Letterman show depicting.... the Whitehouse claimed that the child was not at the event and was in fact editing into the footage for effect... however CBS has stated for the record that the child was present and was not edited in any way, shape or form. Tape was provided to CNN. The Whitehouse declined further comment."

I.E. - the Whitehouse will stop feeding lies to networks like CNN, when CNN does their fvcking homework and verifies what they report ahead of time. And don't think for one second that this kind of crap doesn't go on every single day... only with serious issues, not Letterman footage.

Time to wake up, America.

I'm sorry... where was it stated that the Whitehouse actually told CNN that it was faked?

Seriously. This seems to have just appeared out of nowhere as far as I can tell.

I'm not saying they *didn't*... just that this seems to have popped out of the ether as speculation and no one's questioning it. Kinda like CNN.

I mean, if the only source *IS* CNN... come on.

CNN: "Hello, White House? Can we get your comment on the video on Letterman?"

WH: "Letterman? Heh. Who knows? For all we know, he might have faked it, that scamp."

CNN: "The White House states that the footage is faked."
  • Reply 14 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

I'm sorry... where was it stated that the Whitehouse actually told CNN that it was faked?

Seriously. This seems to have just appeared out of nowhere as far as I can tell.

I'm not saying they *didn't*... just that this seems to have popped out of the ether as speculation and no one's questioning it. Kinda like CNN.

I mean, if the only source *IS* CNN... come on.

CNN: "Hello, White House? Can we get your comment on the video on Letterman?"

WH: "Letterman? Heh. Who knows? For all we know, he might have faked it, that scamp."

CNN: "The White House states that the footage is faked."

Look at the second clip again. CNN anchor: "As funny as that is, we are being told by the White House that that kid was edited in".

I have no doubt that CNN can screw up a story, but attributing a caveat to the White House for no particular reason?

And it's not just some blanket "fake", the assertion is that the kid was "edited in".

I thinks it's a stretch to say that this is probably just CNN being casual about reporting the news.
  • Reply 15 of 69
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    what at cnn, is the standard by which it is said to be "from the white house", does it have to come from an admin. official? what if the cooks or a waiter over hear half of a conversation and tell cnn that they are calling from the white house, is that creaditable to "the white house"? if a reporter hears voices in his head while standing on thr lawn, can he claim that the building talked to him?

I know I am being obserd but it is to prove a point, what qualifies as hearing from the white house? "the white house says..." has always struck me as odd
  • Reply 16 of 69
    Quote:

Look at the second clip again. CNN anchor: "As funny as that is, we are being told by the White House that that kid was edited in".

I have no doubt that CNN can screw up a story, but attributing a caveat to the White House for no particular reason?

And it's not just some blanket "fake", the assertion is that the kid was "edited in".

I thinks it's a stretch to say that this is probably just CNN being casual about reporting the news.

And given the utter crap that is CNN's journalism, I have *no* problems believing that someone, somewhere, miscommunicated, misheard, or otherwise made a mistake.

So really, let me get this straight... the only source for this assertion is the same sentence that is known to be at least half false, and even that half they couldn't make a simple phone call and double-check with CBS. And that's the only source for this?

Oooooookay.

So, you trust CNN on *that*, eh?

I just... you do realize what that sounds like, right?

"CNN can't be trusted. They don't check their facts, they say whatever they're told to, and they're sloppy and unjournalistic. But *THIS* half a sentence we're going to take as *GOSPEL*!"

• Reply 17 of 69
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

I know I am being obserd but it is to prove a point, what qualifies as hearing from the white house? "the white house says..." has always struck me as odd

One of these people:

http://www.results.gov/leadership/dept_WH.html
  • Reply 18 of 69
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Regardless of whether the White House smeared Letterman, CNN sucks for passing along an unverified smear- twice in two hours. CJR's Campaign Desk is getting to the bottom of it.
  • Reply 19 of 69
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    The Whitehouse supplied the wrong info to CNN ( they kind of remind me of Microsoft ). End of story.

Very funny video!
  • Reply 20 of 69
    Quote:

Is there a big switch in the basement of the White House marked "lie" and "tell the truth" that's gotten stuck on "lie"?

Even though I don't think the WH was attempting to railroad Letterman on this one, I have to say quote of the month on this line.