Accessing shared drives in panther

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Just currious if anyone would know for sure the answer to this question. I have a G5, which of course only have 2 HD. I was thinking of purchasing a kit taht I can add another 3HD in it. Bottom line is I want to make a SATA Raid 5 in the G5. I want to know if I decide to share this raid with the other computers on the network via airport or firewire, do I have to worry about file corruption if more then one computer tried to write to this raid? I had a similar problem in the past with an external raid that had 2 channels and I had 2 macs write to it once and it corrupted some files.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    Since you will be file-sharing the RAID with other computers, this should never be a problem. Only your computer will be generating writes to the array. The other computers ask your computer to commit the writes for them.

And with the corruption.. that means that the RAID was not a true SANs device. It probably came with software to arbitrate the writes, and you weren't using it. Sharing RAIDs without a SANs Controller is not a great idea.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Karl Kuehn

Since you will be file-sharing the RAID with other computers, this should never be a problem. Only your computer will be generating writes to the array. The other computers ask your computer to commit the writes for them.

And with the corruption.. that means that the RAID was not a true SANs device. It probably came with software to arbitrate the writes, and you weren't using it. Sharing RAIDs without a SANs Controller is not a great idea.

Ya I learnt that lesson the hard way. I put one mac to one channel of the scsi raid and another mac to the second channel of the scsi raid, and it was just brutal the outcome.

thanks