Audrey Seiler - Cry Wolf Case?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What a sad/bizarre/maddening case:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Midwest/0...ent/index.html

If you missed the live press conference, there was an audible gasp from the many people in the room, as the cops held up similar items that she claimed her "abductor" had used on her and revealed that she has been found to be on video having purchased them - herself.

(By itself not proof of anything, because maybe she was forced to buy it?) But:

She admits there is no abductor this time (not sure about her last disappearance but it's fairly obvious at this point it was faked as well).

What a colossal waste of police resources (I guess it's good training nonetheless, but still).

Anyway, it's none of our business, but we are free to speculate wildly as to her reasons.

Let's do so hm?

I'll start.

<wild unsubstantiated speculation begin!!!!>

Let's start with the premise that it isn't just a case of wanting attention. Meh. Too lazy an assumption.

Certain things are odd. She did web searches for local wooded areas. She "tested the waters" with the first alleged abduction. She methodically bought several items like duct tape, where she needn't have merely to be believed. One can be abducted and have no signs of it and it is still true that it happened. It was overkill to buy props.

I contend that there might have been other possibilities. (All obviously outlandish speculation and not proven at all)

1. She could have been framing an ex-boyfriend or someone she didn't like to be the abductor. (Set the props, lure the guy out there, fight and call cops)

2. She could have been setting the stage to murder another girl as "co-victim" - other girl dies, she "gets away" (Lure the girl out there, kill her, stage abduction)

3. She could have been setting the stage to murder and frame a guy as abductor

4. She could have been setting the stage to murder another girl as a separate second abductee (but not being abducted again herself). There would be no abductor/killer caught and it would fade into history as unsolved.

I would seriously investigate if she has anyone she really hates in her past.

The simple answer "she's lonely/depressed/looking for attention" doesn't fit to me in this case.

Liars always keep lying.

Is "I just wanted to be alone" too a lie?

Discuss

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Just proves that even an honor student can be a total asshat.

While this douche bag took police on a wild goose chase the cops could have had other credible cases to investigate.

Hope she either gets some jail time and then works as a check out clerk at Wal-Mart.

No sympathy.

• Reply 2 of 22
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I left out the possibility she may have been trying to fake her own death/disappearance, because it's kinda lame but not altogether out of the question.

I can see wanting to say the hell with it all school/family/work/etc and just take off. But you can do that without the theatrics.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    maybe she just finally cracked? mental illness can start to kick in around that age.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Insane in the brain. Insane in the membrane.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    If she DID make it up, she sould be fined equal to the money spent tracking down the truth. That could easily be tens of housands of dollars. And at least one night in gaol, for the hell of it
  • Reply 6 of 22
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    i've always wondered how hard it would be to get away with kidnaping yourself then keeping the ransom money? i guess people from wisconsin act on that type of stupid wonder? dumb people piss me off and so does she

thoughts on the topic

PS
  • Reply 7 of 22
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Good police training? No...public service departments (police/fire) are stretched really thin as is. She wasted the time, money, and resources of hundreds of cops, and a few police departments. There is no excuse for what she did. She needs serious mental help.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artman @_@

Just proves that even an honor student can be a total asshat.

lol

Maybe she just watches too many soap operas with her loony college friends. I work at a university and see many of these girls that are so average they, too, could snap at any moment.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I don't think people do something like this just cause they're asshats.

All that planning, all that work towards such a useless end. And one that comes with a real chance of getting busted.

No, I'm gonna go with insane in the membrane.

Or the Bush White House.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Good police training? No...public service departments (police/fire) are stretched really thin as is. She wasted the time, money, and resources of hundreds of cops, and a few police departments. There is no excuse for what she did. She needs serious mental help.

I wasn't offer or suggesting it was an excuse by the way.

I was simply seeking at least one nugget of positive spin, mostly sardonically.

Anyway, yes, there is a rubber room with her name on it. (Even if she isn't crazy).

---

Disclosure as to why I even care about the case: I sat and watched about 3 hours of helicopter search footage live yesterday, forgoing a late lunch just to see if anything happened It's all my fault, of course I just can't resist a good piece of live crime coverage.

I need a new hobby. Or a job.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

I don't think people do something like this just cause they're asshats.

All that planning, all that work towards such a useless end. And one that comes with a real chance of getting busted.

No, I'm gonna go with insane in the membrane.

Doesn't "elaborate planning" usually trump "insanity"?

This is why I suspect it might have been a set-up in progress.

If she wanted attention, just disappear. Exposure and malnutrition alone will be enough "trauma" to convince most people you were abducted. It would be sufficiently believable and sufficiently cruel to your parents, assuming you hate them and that is the desired effect.

You don't need to do web searches for a perfect spot unless you wanted the area to be safe for what -you- were going to do to someone else.

She wouldn't have needed to buy duct tape, rope, cold medicine, (a gun) and a knife if she wanted to stage abduction. Those items are mostly useless (or unnecessary) unless she was going to use them on someone else. (Not sure if she bought a gun but the article implies that, probably a mistake).

It stinks to high heaven.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    I wonder if we are seeing the emergence of a relatively new pathology: I don't exist unless I'm on TV.

Kind of a step up from wanting attention, some sort of outgrowth of celebrity culture combined with losing the thread of the narrative of your life and trying to pick it up again via the familiar forms of television.

In this case, the crime drama.

The reverse of reality TV, where you make TV your reality.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Quote:

I wonder if we are seeing the emergence of a relatively new pathology: I don't exist unless I'm on TV.The reverse of reality TV, where you make TV your reality.

Very real possibility.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Doesn't "elaborate planning" usually trump "insanity"?

Not at all. The deranged can be quite meticulous. You might be thinking of homacide cases, where planning establishes premeditation, thus ruling out "passion", and mitigating against an insanity plea.

But some profoundly disturbed people can carry out elaborate courses of action to butress their illness, as long as their illness doesn't inhibit their sense of the fundamental workings of the world.

In other words, if my illness makes it hard for me to remember where I am or why people wear clothes, probably not so successful with the schemes.

On the other hand, if I believe myself to be a space alien who has to work hard to stay out of the clutches of the dark men, and I still know how to plan and drive, I can run that until I run out of money or I share my concerns with the wrong person.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

You might be thinking of homicide cases, where planning establishes premeditation, thus ruling out "passion", and mitigating against an insanity plea.

Yes, I was, thanks. I wasn't certain.

Yes, the deranged can be meticulous. Now that I think about, it the deranged usually -are- meticulous whereas regular killers are really messy and careless. I knew that. I need more coffee (woke up at 2:30PM )
  • Reply 16 of 22
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I knew someone who was attacked in his college dorm, the assailant cut at his throat and hit him on the head with pipe. They never found the intruder/attacker and a year or so later this same person committed suicide, leading many to believe the first attack had been staged.

It was very confusing for the friends and family of this person. This girl's family is fortunate to have her alive and available for observation by mental health experts. One of the unfortunate side-effects of these types of cases is that it strains law enforcement officials complete trust of real victims. I hope that there are follow-ups of this case, even though it will be another burden on the family.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    I had a roommate whom later hung himself in jail. I found two brand new unopened coils of rope in his emptied out room. I can only assume he had been planning it before hand. (He had a van in which all his stuff fit, so he didn't need the rope for moving).

We never really suspected anything although he was an outrageous alchoholic. In fact, it was my other, far more jovial yet utterly alcoholic roommate came to me (drunk) to complain about how out of control this kid was!

Next time I think I'll press for more intervention. I'm afraid we were not thinking in terms of suicide, but merely "let's get this irresponsible guy outta here". Live and learn.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

I had a roommate whom later hung himself in jail. I found two brand new unopened coils of rope in his emptied out room. I can only assume he had been planning it before hand. (He had a van in which all his stuff fit, so he didn't need the rope for moving).

We never really suspected anything although he was an outrageous alchoholic. In fact, it was my other, far more jovial yet utterly alcoholic roommate came to me (drunk) to complain about how out of control this kid was!

Next time I think I'll press for more intervention. I'm afraid we were not thinking in terms of suicide, but merely "let's get this irresponsible guy outta here". Live and learn.

Yeah, it's very hard to know what to do with a person who seems self destructive. In my experience it's pretty rare that such a person is grateful for any "meddling". I think all you can do is let them know (if it's someone you care about) that you will help if they want you to, and that will be true even if it's awhile before they want help.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

i've always wondered how hard it would be to get away with kidnaping yourself then keeping the ransom money? i guess people from wisconsin act on that type of stupid wonder? dumb people piss me off and so does she

PS

She is from Minnesota, but she does go to school at UW-Madison.

I suspected she was lying the day they found her. There was a lot of evidence to lead anyone to that conclusion:

1) the police couldn't find the suspect near the marsh, whom she said was still in the marsh

2) she was caught on video leaving her apartment alone on Saturday, but she left the door unlocked and left her purse behind

3) the mysterious incident in February where she claims to have been knocked unconscious and regained consciousness one block away

4) her indication that she was not sexually assaulted or physically assaulted with either incident (minus being knocked unconscious)

5) the secretiveness of the police with the media
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Sigh. Another Jayson Blair.

The Cry Wolf part of course is the most sad. Obviously if she ever is kidnapped or raped no one will believe her.

I hope this case doesn't impose too much cynicism on future claims from other women. Of course, due diligence and proper scrutiny by law enforcement is a good thing even in real cases as long as it isn't so cynical that real cases are dropped out of paranoia.

Way to go girl, you might set back the issue of women's safety a notch or three.