Letterman vs Bush vs CNN

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

Until we hear 100% one way or the other, this issue will never be resolved here.

what are you talking about? at least 4/5 of the folks posting in this thread already know for sure.
  • Reply 62 of 69
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    why doesnt letterman find the kid and invite him onto the show, it would put it to bedonce and for all, he cant be that hard to find, he was 10 feet from the presedent in a televised address, and his pappa is a big-ass doner or a fellow politition so if letterman and cbs make a few calls, i am sure they could find him and have him on tonight or monday
  • Reply 63 of 69
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

why doesnt letterman find the kid and invite him onto the show, it would put it to bedonce and for all, he cant be that hard to find, he was 10 feet from the presedent in a televised address, and his pappa is a big-ass doner or a fellow politition so if letterman and cbs make a few calls, i am sure they could find him and have him on tonight or monday

That's a great idea. Everyone already knows who he is:

http://www.local6.com/slideshow/news...ws;dm=ss;w=320
  • Reply 64 of 69
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

uh, he's on tonight

http://www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/
  • Reply 65 of 69
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    LOL, that shit was very funny. I'm taping it tonight.

Oh, and Leno's show is for old people. It blows.
  • Reply 66 of 69
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    quoteth the website:

...Dave informs America that neither statement from CNN is true. The boy was at the rally and the boy was standing behind the President. Something strange is going on, and Dave smells a cover up. While talking about this very incident, CNN sent a message to the Late Show and claimed the White House never called CNN. CNN admitted they had made a mistake.

WEDNESDAY: But why would CNN say the White House HAD called if the White House never did? Hmmm. Dave reveals that our source, a very good source, confirms the White House DID call the CNN.

THURSDAY: CNN admits their mistake and apologizes to Dave. We see a clip of the CNN apology delivered by CNN anchorperson Daryn Kagen. Although the apology seemed diverting and evasive at times, Dave is elated that for the first time in his 25 years on the air, somebody apologized to him.

And to top it all off, the young boy from Orlando Tyler Crotty has agreed to be on our show Friday night.

another example of the fact that anybody can get those 15 minutes of fame....

g
  • Reply 67 of 69
    nevynnevyn Posts: 360member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Hmmm. So you're suggesting the people in the [Press Secretary's office] did not know they were making something up when they called CNN with the allegation that the tape was bogus? Either they *knew* it to be bogus, or they wanted people to *think* it was bogus (and suspected it was), but didn't know for sure.

My money is on option 2. They took a gamble and got mud on their face. Maybe they assumed Letterman wouldn't say anything?

I agree that there has to be people monitoring all the propaganda engines.

I agree that someone might call to correct CNN.

They might even call to delude CNN.

However, I pick option _THREE_, there was no phone call from the whitehouse.

I don't see a phone call in this case because although it might have caused an initial retraction - it would _not_ have caused CNN to admit that the _entire_ thing was their _sole_ fault.

IE which of these is more likely:

1) After an internal joke goes awry CNN does a double-correction claiming that the entire thing is entirely their own fault apologizing to Letterman, the Whitehouse, and the kid. Several times. While still chuckling.

2) CNN actually does get a call from the Whitehouse containing a flat out lie. CNN believes it and goes along while checking. After checking they recontact the Whitehouse and get yet more contradictory crap. They then decide 'you know what, this is all stupid, it must be all our fault, let's put this all to bed' and retract everything.

If it was #2, there is simply no way CNN would let it drop. More like: CNN spends the rest of the day with that as the topic of their talking heads with much laughing at the general incompetence of the selected leader and all of his subordinates. Interviews with the boy's pets, schoolmates, and teachers.

That is, number 2 would actually _be_news_. Stupid news, but that's never been shown to cause the slightest slowdown at CNN. NYT headlines follow:

Bush lies, kid missing.

Whitehouse scams Letterman

Whitehouse staff lose track of kid
  • Reply 68 of 69
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Wow Kick, you really lost it there for a second! But I probably would have too when no one else would concede your painfully obvious point (at least to you and me) that there just isn't solid proof the White House was actually involved. We just don't know for sure at this point. But I think Moogs brought up some great points on the likelihood of White House involvement. I want to believe...

...also, why isn't everyone beating up on CNN for passing along an unverified smear? That's the real story here...
  • Reply 69 of 69
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

I mean look, I have no problem believing that the Republican National Committee would run down baby carriages if it thought it would get it ahead.

No child has ever messed with the Republican party and lived to tell about it.

-Sideshow Bob

I have to say thanks to the original poster. I laughed until I cried. Then I cried for different reasons after watching the second clip.

A quick web search suggests that CNN is now denying that the white house contacted them which either means that the WH put some sort of pressure on them to retract or CNN has some serious problems in it's chain of communication.

I agree that it seems very unlikely that a reporter could misconstrue something to the point of making such specific assertions, but it also seems unlikely that the WH would pick such a fight. Either way, sad.