Anyone download Gimp.app 2.0?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Everytime I go to "the" link (http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net/) I click on the download and get a message about "cannot read file". This happens in both the latest versions of Safari and IE.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    I suspect foul play on the part of the money-grubbing jackasses over at OpenOSX.com.

I would *love* to be mistaken, though.

You can still download it from:

ftp://ftp.chg.ru/.8/sourceforge/g/gi...Gimp-2.0.0.dmg
  • Reply 2 of 21
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    Thanks Brad!
  • Reply 3 of 21
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Does Gimp now run natively in OSX, or does it still need to run through X11 ? I tried openosx.org and macgimp.org, but I couldn't get a straight answer. Sometimes it states that its Panther native, but sometimes it states that it needs the X11 environment.

Anyone know for sure if this is a 'true' OS X app (i.e. like all my other apps in the /Applications folder) ?

.:BoeManE:.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Still requires X11, but it fires it up on its own which is kind of nice. Saves you from navigating to and starting X11.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    It requires X11, but the app itself is completely selt-contained. No having to mess with the *nix side of things at all. You drag-and-drop the app to wherever you want it and then just double-click.

Clicking feels weird in the app, though. You have to click once in a window to bring it to the front and then click again to activate a tool or select a menu. Enabling click-through makes it feel much better. Here's the command for that:

Code:

defaults write com.apple.x11 wm_click_through true

_
  • Reply 6 of 21
    boemaneboemane Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fuzz_ball

Still requires X11, but it fires it up on its own which is kind of nice. Saves you from navigating to and starting X11.

Thanks. I just downloaded it from the link Brad gave out, and installed. Pretty nice indeed. On another note I'm used to Photoshop 7 now, so it's interface is kinnda weird - but that's another story

I think i'll check it out closer over the weekend...

.:BoeManE:.
  • Reply 7 of 21
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BoeManE

Thanks. I just downloaded it from the link Brad gave out, and installed. Pretty nice indeed. On another note I'm used to Photoshop 7 now, so it's interface is kinnda weird - but that's another story

Interface differences aside, could this app replace Photoshop? By that I mean, can it do what Photoshop does?
  • Reply 8 of 21
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    That's the intent.

Just grabbed it myself - liking.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    A little OT, but why isn't "click through" enabled by default?
  • Reply 10 of 21
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

Interface differences aside, could this app replace Photoshop? By that I mean, can it do what Photoshop does?

For Joes? Yes.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

Basically, yes.

It lacks one key feature that pros need, though: CMYK.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    How hard would it be to add CMYK support? I mean, it was to be added in this release but something set them back.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

For Joes? Yes.

What about Jacks?
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Basically, yes.

It lacks one key feature that pros need, though: CMYK.

Good. I'm sure it will be added sooner than later. I'm no longer interested in giving Adobe my money.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    WTF they're trying to flog it off for $30???? That's a violent flagration of the GPL, you can't just go selling other peoples free hard work like that.

I suspect we could get the slashdot group onto them and then see how they like it. They managed to get Linksys to turn around and some other companies that were violating the GPL as well.

Make them donate every $30 they get illegally to http://www.osdn.com/ or something I say otherwise legal action could be theres.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Quote:

WTF they're trying to flog it off for $30???? That's a violent flagration of the GPL, you can't just go selling other peoples free hard work like that.

You might want to READ the GPL before citing it.

Hint: its not a violation.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by cowerd

You might want to READ the GPL before citing it.

Hint: its not a violation.

Well it certainly not in the spirit of the GPL
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by barbrook

Well it certainly not in the spirit of the GPL

You couldn't be more wrong. Even the Free Software Foundation funded itself in the early days by selling reels of tape containing its 'Free' software. As long as any source code they add is freely available to purchasers then they are following the letter, and the spirit, of the GPL (that's where linksys slipped up).

Sleazy, yes; against the GPL, no.

If you want to do your bit I'd suggest pointing people to http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/ in future.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    "3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it, under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following: a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange"

The terms of Section 1 and 2 include "You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy."

OpenOSX charges $30 for a GIMP CD, $40 for an OpenOffice CD, $40 for a Film GIMP CD, $30 for a WinTel CD, $60 for an OpenWeb CD, $50 for a GRASS GIS CD, $30 for an OpenDB CD and $30 for an XFree86 CD.

If they only charged for the physical act of transferring a copy, there wouldn't be the price disparity.

Barto
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

OpenOSX charges $30 for a GIMP CD, $40 for an OpenOffice CD, $40 for a Film GIMP CD, $30 for a WinTel CD, $60 for an OpenWeb CD, $50 for a GRASS GIS CD, $30 for an OpenDB CD and $30 for an XFree86 CD.

If they only charged for the physical act of transferring a copy, there wouldn't be the price disparity.

I don't believe it actually specifies that what you are charging for is simply the 'posting and packaging'. OpenOSX could easily argue that it takes more of their time to organise and support some of the packaged CDs and therefore they need to charge more to make it worth their while. Or if there is a fixed cost involved then high volume CDs could spread that cost further and cost less per unit.

But I think they are just charging what the market will bear and (sleazily) taking advantage of people who aren't familiar with the open source scene. For all the talk about RMS and the GPL being 'communist' I don't think they have a major problem with free market principles i.e. that high profits are a price-signal of what the market wants and encourage new sellers to enter that market. bringing profits and prices down.

--------------

What I found interesting is that guy who runs MacGimp gets a mention on http://www.gimp.org/macintosh because "last year he helped the GIMP developers with a donation for their developers conference" and the site itself seems to talk the talk and walk the walk to a certain degree as far as open source principles are concerned. But if you read his 'howto' (http://howto.macgimp.org/) then it's a slightly shady (imho) accounting of his relation to Gimp followed by a dodgy (imho) justification for charging for a MacGimp CD and then instructions for installing Gimp that seem designed (imho) to scare people into buying the CD.

--------

For people wanting to check out the GIMP without actually installing it I recommend the videos of what Gimp can do that MacGIMP lists on his news page http://www.macgimp.org/index.php?topic=tipstricks