WH00T! UT2K4 Just Arrived!`

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Time for an install. See ya!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    This is a long installation process. There is 4.37GB of installer on the DVD, and it takes some serious time to install it. I fell a sleep a few times during it already. It's almost done now. I must go whack some jack from my new spacecraft. This should be cool.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Under 5 min from reading your post I was out the door on my way to Fry's. How sad is that.

Just picked up my copy. Plus a xD memory card adapter and Family Guy Season 1&2.

$$Cha-Ching$$
  • Reply 3 of 31
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Does it play well on a single processor machine yet? I remember trying the beta the day it came out and it sucked as bad as sin.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    I remember them finding a stupid bug -their words- that affected single processor machines. They removed it and now you are supposed to get nearly 2X the framerate. That is why the Mac version was a little later than the PC version.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Mmmmmm...

Can't wait! I was forced to play without the sound to improve the FPS.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Mmmmmm...

Can't wait! I was forced to play without the sound to improve the FPS.

hmmm well when are you getiing it maybe sometime i can play on the G5 if you show trust in my editing skyllzes
  • Reply 7 of 31
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

hmmm well when are you getiing it maybe sometime i can play on the G5 if you show trust in my editing skyllzes

Uh...what?
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Now that's a FKN game!

867MHz G4 SP Quicksilver /768MB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 3 TI / ALL was wicked.

Ran perfectly. The graphics are soo much cooler than in the demo. Single Player was fun ass h3ll, but I had to try some new onslaught Maps, and it was super kewl. Too bafd I have to work in the morning. Sleepy time.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    I L-O-V-E the Leviathan. Everything else seems weak! And I noticed new sounds for the vehicles. They are a lot cleaner.

There is still an audio problem on my machine. The opening animation only plays through the left speaker but the exploding power node sound seems to be fixed.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Uh...what?

will you let me play it on ur G5 next time we edit the videos?
  • Reply 11 of 31
    THe thing I haven't seen yet is the maps where you fly spaceships. I'm going to load all the onslaught maps in, and see if i cant find one, or two.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    The space map is not in onslaught.

It is somewhere under Assault.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    hey onlooker you say the fps are improved from the demo, could you post your actual FPS that you are getting?

I want to go out and get it meself but if the FPS is only like 50-60FPS then i aint going to do it \
  • Reply 14 of 31
    I have a dual G5 and framerates vary GREATLY from map to map. How about we all test more specifically the Onslaught map same as the demo. You could also give Resolution and sound settings (high/low) to help out.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    In the demo I really only played the ons-map, and I never had problems with the FPS. I was on some servers where everyone was complaining about lag, but that is obviously a server problem. If you look at the specs of what I play on (ABOVE) my machine doesn't even make the system requirements, but I have seen no problem with either the Demo, or retail version yet. But I must say the retail version looks much better.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

In the demo I really only played the ons-map, and I never had problems with the FPS. I was on some servers where everyone was complaining about lag, but that is obviously a server problem. If you look at the specs of what I play on (ABOVE) my machine doesn't even make the system requirements, but I have seen no problem with either the Demo, or retail version yet. But I must say the retail version looks much better.

The reason i asked is that i've played the demo and get a paultry 40FPS, when theres a lot of action it drops to 20. if you would be so kind could you do a stat fps in the console of the retail and see what FPS you get then post here pls. first person shooters arent much cop unless your getting 70+ FPS.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Has anyone tried running this on a 15in AlBook? If so, how does it run for you?
  • Reply 18 of 31
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

The reason i asked is that i've played the demo and get a paultry 40FPS, when theres a lot of action it drops to 20. if you would be so kind could you do a stat fps in the console of the retail and see what FPS you get then post here pls. first person shooters arent much cop unless your getting 70+ FPS.

HAHA, then don't buy it if you are expecting 70+ FPS from your puny dual 867. My brother's 1.4 GHz G4 w/ GeForce 4 Titanium (that's the one with 128 MB of VRAM) runs it at around 30 FPS. Small levels are fine even at medium detail settings and 800x600, but large ones (like AS-Mothership, the space level) are taxing even at minimum settings. Upgrade to a dual G5/2 GHz and Radeon 9800 w/ 2 GB of RAM, and you MIGHT begin to approach the performance you desire. This is the sort of game that can only run well at max settings on the most advanced hardware, and it'll be a couple years before you'll be able to buy hardware that runs it really well for cheap.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

You're expectations are just ridiculous. There's no way UT2k4 will run at 70+ fps on a Dual 867. 25-35 would be the acceptable range. Be realistic dude.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    You don't really need anything over 40FPS. If you are running a display at 85Hz than it will be very smooth. If you use a LCD, 35 is great unless you have a $$$ high performance screen. I am running a Dual G5 with 1.5GB of ram and some maps I never hit 70FPS yet. I get over 350 on the intro animation and in its default settings I can hit 900FPS Than again, I have everything set to max and I'm running 1600x1200@85hz