New Laptop model on October 15th.

Comments

• Reply 101 of 444
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    [quote]Originally posted by Addison:

<strong>Maybe we will just get an iBook update.

PB's and PM's get their updates in January with a new chip.

Just a theory though.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't think Apple will let the iBook overtake the its top of the line. Not even it's only for two months.

A lot of people would buy the new iBooks instead of waiting for faster, higher margin TiBooks. I can't see Apple doing this.
  • Reply 102 of 444
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 103 of 444
    Does anyone have any information about the rumored G4++? I have heard nothing about it except from a few people on here. Is this wishful thinking, a rumor, or fact? I would love to have a new version of the G4 with a faster bus speed and other improvements.

Anyone care to summarize the specs of this revised G4?

Thanks,

Terry
  • Reply 104 of 444
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    Is there an Intel DP notebook in existence or will the DP PB be an industry first?
  • Reply 105 of 444
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kecksy:

<strong>

I don't think Apple will let the iBook overtake the its top of the line. Not even it's only for two months.

A lot of people would buy the new iBooks instead of waiting for faster, higher margin TiBooks. I can't see Apple doing this.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If I am not mistaken they have done that before.

For instance the iBook got the combo drive before the PB.

(Corrected, it is Friday and the end of a long weak,I am very tired)

[ 10-11-2002: Message edited by: Addison ]</p>
  • Reply 106 of 444
    [quote]Originally posted by AirSluf:

<strong>

You know a Quadro4 is just a rebadged GF4 Ti with fully implemented drivers and missing a couple little hardware hamstrings don't you? It has absolutely nothing to do with 4 displays and isn't magically faster than what is already available in Mac Land. Workstation graphics are more about driver certification now than anything else. Well, that and hiking the price up a few 100% because businesses are buying it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Didn't know! Don't care too much! Didn't make any of the assumptions you think I'm making. Doesn't make any difference to my issue, which is choice; one user may want a Quadro4, another a Radeon, etc. ad nauseum. Here's another point: some users may not want an additional graphics card, and may use the slot for another purpose altogther.

My concept makes that a feasible possibility for TiBook users, or maybe it doesn't, that's probably the more important point with which someone should argue.
  • Reply 107 of 444
    [quote]Originally posted by Addison:

<strong>

If I am no mistaken they have don't that before if I am not mistaken. For instance the iBook got the combo drive before the PB.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Uh... do 2 not mistakens cancel each other out and make a mistaken? So the iBook got a combo drive first... if you're wrong only.

Uh... head hurts...

Anyway. iBook rev first? I'd say "nice theory, you're probably right" to someone who said that... but only if they were retarded and needed a little positive reinforcement. You know, it would be a lie, but with good intentions.

No way the iBook gets revved before the PowerBook. Get a grip.
  • Reply 108 of 444
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Apple just started a RAM policy. You can get 1GB of RAM for FREE, practically, on the 800MHz TiBook. The current Ti's aren't going anywhere. Buy while you can.
  • Reply 109 of 444
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jon Rubinstein:

<strong>Apple just started a RAM policy. You can get 1GB of RAM for FREE, practically, on the 800MHz TiBook. The current Ti's aren't going anywhere. Buy while you can.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not to mention that every Mac dealer is still flooded with TiBooks right now.
  • Reply 110 of 444
    Well, they are going to stay stocked up until Apple releases new model because nobody is going to buy at this point.

The least Apple could do would be to lower the prices significantly, think $1999 and $2499, however, even at these prices, I don't think they would sell.

Time for Apple to bite the bullet and release new models even if there is a lot of stock left, nobody is buying these current configs!
  • Reply 111 of 444
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    [quote]Originally posted by Rupert:

<strong>Time for Apple to bite the bullet and release new models even if there is a lot of stock left, nobody is buying these current configs!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Can you provide info to back this up?

Dave
  • Reply 112 of 444
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member

<strong>Well, they are going to stay stocked up until Apple releases new model because nobody is going to buy at this point.

The least Apple could do would be to lower the prices significantly, think $1999 and $2499, however, even at these prices, I don't think they would sell.

Time for Apple to bite the bullet and release new models even if there is a lot of stock left, nobody is buying these current configs!</strong><hr></blockquote>

They did, for west coast universities. If you go to one, you can get 25% off a TiBook right now.
  • Reply 113 of 444
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Yeah, I think the cat is out of the bag--there's little hope of any portable rev, esp. TiBooks, before the new year.

I really don't see why everyone is waiting so long--for me, the 800 rocks on toast, but i don't need a built-in superdrive, nor have I any Bluetooth enabled devices yet.

Also, though it may go to DDR RAM for the reduced power consumption, I don't know if we'll see real speed improvements from that alone.

After that it is all HD/RAM/Processor bumps, and that isn't something to wait 3 months over, is it?

With the RAM promotion and the display promotion, you could get a 667 and trick it out like there's no tomorrow and still pay less than the full-priced high end.

I know, your milage varies...but comparing Apples to Apples, right now seems like a fine time to buy if you know you don't need Superdrive/Bluetooth.
  • Reply 114 of 444

<strong>Time for Apple to bite the bullet and release new models even if there is a lot of stock left, nobody is buying these current configs!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I am proof you're wrong.

My Ti800 was 2 weeks old yesterday.
  • Reply 115 of 444
    Is there anyone here that honestly still expects Apple to release a new laptop on October 15th? I need some positive reinforcement before I use the power of the credit card today to get...

- 800MHz G4

- 1GB RAM

- 60GB HD

- DVI/ADC Adapter

...for $3580.

Am I nuts? I just can't wait any longer.
  • Reply 116 of 444
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Wait.

Apple needs to learn that it can't pass off stale product for months on end, and to do it without any substantial discount to the original debut price. Don't be the fish that gets caught just a few weeks before an update.
  • Reply 117 of 444
    But I could be waiting FOREVER. What if an update doesn't come next week? I'll be waiting for another week. And the week after that?

Edit: I have no computer, right now (I'm obviously not posting this from mine).

[ 10-12-2002: Message edited by: Jon Rubinstein ]</p>
  • Reply 118 of 444
    Well, I went and ordered it anyway. If an update happens to come out next week, before my product even gets here, I'll be sure to call Apple up and DEMAND a rebate.
  • Reply 119 of 444
    jmpjmp Posts: 31member
    Here's my opinion (no insider info):

The situation with PowerBooks right now seems very similar to two years ago, when the Pismo was current. The Pismo was a nice upgrade from previous G3 PowerBooks (100MHz Bus, Firewire, Airport, speed bump, etc) but not a revolutionary change-just an update to an existing line (in fact the third major update I believe-Wallstreet, Lombard, Pismo). By late fall there was much speculation that the Pismo should be upgraded 'soon' as the design was already 8 months old, but instead we saw rebates and then very late in the year a price drop. Finally early in 2001 we saw the Titanium PowerBook introduced with a G4, widescreen, etc.

The current G4 PowerBook is also in its third revision, also a nice but not revolutionary upgrade, and it seems that many people expect it 'must' be upgraded soon as the model is nice but getting stale. Instead we're seeing some nice rebates (RAM, displays, etc) and a 1-2 day shipping time at the Apple Store, no indication that the current PowerBooks are running out. Maybe in a month or so we'll see a price drop, then early next year a 'significant' new feature?

So, supposing this happens, what does everyone think the new 'feature' might be? Maybe G4 on a smaller process, maybe Superdrive, maybe a re-designed enclosure? I'm curious mostly because the Superdrive or case re-design with only the standard 20% speed bump would not be reasons for me to wait; if that's what we should expect, then I'll buy the current model if the prices drop. But if a significantly more capable processor is likely to make it into the next revision, I can hang onto my G3 for a few more months. Thanks.
  • Reply 120 of 444
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member