installing GCC? WTF?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Sorry if this is offtopic, until I get a new iBook, I want to install GCC on a PC. I have been to GCC's website, and I am completely confused as to what I need to do. I know I need the binaries, but there is not a single link to follow when I reach the files, what do I need to get? All of the files?

I was hoping i would be able to download a .zip and then run an installer that did the rest, it isn't this simple by a long way?

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

Sorry if this is offtopic, until I get a new iBook, I want to install GCC on a PC. I have been to GCC's website, and I am completely confused as to what I need to do. I know I need the binaries, but there is not a single link to follow when I reach the files, what do I need to get? All of the files?

I was hoping i would be able to download a .zip and then run an installer that did the rest, it isn't this simple by a long way?

Any help much appreciated.

I take it you need it for windows? If so then you need cygwin which provides GNU C and GNU Make (Link is direct download for it) then use a frontend like the mercury project
  • Reply 2 of 4
    You don't have to install cygwyn to get this. If you use cygwyn, you'd have to use its own command prompt.

Instead, I recommend installing MinGW so you can use the regular command prompt gcc, et al.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    faust9faust9 Posts: 1,335member
    Bloodshed software makes a freeware C/C++ IDE which uses MinGW. Its not as nice as VC++ for developing MS software but it not a bad compiler either. I've been compiling simple programs with it for some time now.

http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html
  • Reply 4 of 4
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    For IDEs, take a look at the eclipse project from IBM. Opensource IDE that can be customized...