Wake from sleep by itself

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
When my PowerBook was asleep today, it woke up from sleep by itself. Could it be that someone may be trying to access my computer through the ethernet port? I have "wake for Ethernet network access" unchecked in the Energy Saver pref pane.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ipodandimacipodandimac Posts: 3,273member
    do you have anything turned on in the energy saver settings where it says: 'automatically turn on at...?' with panther you can have everything set to turn off and turn on (or wake up) at specified times--maybe someone is playing a late april fools on you.

just a thought.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

do you have anything turned on in the energy saver settings where it says: 'automatically turn on at...?' with panther you can have everything set to turn off and turn on (or wake up) at specified times--maybe someone is playing a late april fools on you.

just a thought.

nope, i don't have any schedules set for wake, sleep, or shutdown.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    sh0ewaxsh0ewax Posts: 114member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr. John Zoidberg

When my PowerBook was asleep today, it woke up from sleep by itself. Could it be that someone may be trying to access my computer through the ethernet port? I have "wake for Ethernet network access" unchecked in the Energy Saver pref pane.

Seems kinda unlikely. What kind of setup is this specifically? and is it possible that you just neglected to put it to sleep / it didn't go to sleep?

If you do feel that the whole hacking thing could be happening, activate the OS X firewall and worry no longer...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    The sleep light was pulsing, and then I heard the hard drive spin up, so I'm pretty sure the machine was asleep beforehand.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Did you remove any devices?

My powerbook wakes up if I shut the lid - then unplug the mouse when its asleep. The simple solution to this is to pull the power cord first. This powers down the device so it doesn't wake up the 'book when its removed.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    nope, i didn't unplug any devices. i was just sitting there, not touching anything, and it woke up by itself.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    left field hypothesis...

there are cron tasks that run scheduled cleanup (around 3am IIRC).

maybe your time zone got borked going DST and thought it was night, hence housekeeping time.

if you're really curious, you could get a shell like Maintain and set it to log all realtime activity or net traffic

then wait for the circumstances to repeat (test at same time tomorrow, 1wk from original incident, etc.)

not sure if that helps at all

it's also worth noting that many cable internet providers regularly ping their modems to authenticate

my old PC firewall used to log dozens of hits a day that were eventually traced back to the provider's security and billing servers checking the DHCP lease settings across the subnet, or clever hackers spoofing the server while they trolled for open ports