WH00T! UT2K4 Just Arrived!`

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    I think I found a new favorite game
  • Reply 22 of 31
    I realise i wont be able to hit the 70+ range on my comp, i was intriqued by onlooker saying it ran decent on his comp, which in my opinion is not true so i wanted the evidence as to what FPS he was getting.

40FPS is just not acceptable on any FPS. At that rate it spoils the game, At the 50FPS i get on the demo your running along at an unsmooth rate, then someone starts shooting and before you can bat an eyelid your playing what can only be described as a flipbook comic at 20-30 FPS. Some of you peeps probably cant notice the difference at the very weak FPS your getting but when you've played this game on a 1.8ghz athlon with only a mere geforce4TI running a smooth 90-100FPS and then drop down to 20-50FPS then you can see the difference. And yes, Ebby, your talking out of your arse m8.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    In agreement with cybermonkey.

Anyone who says that 40 FPS is all you need for a high action FPS like UT2004 just doesn't know what they're talking about. No offense.

There is a whole world of difference between 40 and 80 FPS, and you'll definitely notice the difference. Try this: Fire up the old and crusty Quake 3, and cap it to 40 FPS with "/com_maxfps 40" in the console. Then set it to 80. Anyone should be able to see it.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Outpost got me my copy in less than one business day!

(Been nice knowing you and i'll recontact humanity in approximately 72 hours. See you on the other side.)

I've been running the demo on a dual 450 with 1.5gigs ram and a radeon 8500. Runs well enough to entertain but poor enough to cause upgrade lust.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I just re-read my post from yesterday and I see my error. It was kind of a quick ramble/reply, but there was method to my madness. What I was trying to get at was: there is no point to have the framerate faster than half your refresh rate of your monitor. You just can't see the frames because they are not displayed. My error was that computer screens use progressive scan while TV's use interlaced frames to display images. (I just finished a Video production class so I have TV specs in my head) If you play this game on a computer than you could use 60-120FPS. Although, as horrible a mistake you pointed out, my statement is entirely true if you play this game on a interlaced TV. Even if you get "60"FPS you would only be receiving 1/2 the information of each frame and therefore you can only get a max of 30 complete frames per second.

Just a little mix-up. No harm.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    You could cut all the grass in wysoming in the time it takes to install UT2004.

Perhaps raise a small family while you're at it.

Install at 1 hour and counting

(From a Pioneer DVR-106D to a WD120SE (ATA66))
  • Reply 27 of 31
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Soooo, is this the first Mac game to ship on DVD? Or has there been another?
  • Reply 28 of 31
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Wasn't there a collectors edition of Myst/Riven that shipped on 1-2 DVD's?
  • Reply 29 of 31
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Wasn't there a collectors edition of Myst/Riven that shipped on 1-2 DVD's?

Yep
  • Reply 30 of 31
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

will you let me play it on ur G5 next time we edit the videos?

its not cool to tak abowt things off the forums without the privit mesages that r acshully in reel life cuz its like an insid joke but stupidr

edit: i axidently capitilizd sum thinsg
  • Reply 31 of 31
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

THe thing I haven't seen yet is the maps where you fly spaceships. I'm going to load all the onslaught maps in, and see if i cant find one, or two.

AS-Mothership

I've practically memorized all the maps and their contents; don't flame me for being impatient towards people whose god isn't Cliffy B.