the powerthingy g4 (or my photoshop cs test)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
i had to test photoshop cs and got carried away...

PowerThingy G4

but then again...

fire away!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by peve

i had to test photoshop cs and got carried away...

PowerThingy G4

but then again...

fire away!

Beautiful.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    You're running pscates out of business!

Nice mock-up!
  • Reply 3 of 25
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Is it a tiny PowerBook? I don't have a ruler handy (and I don't do Metric), so what, in inches, is 15cm x 7cm? Is it about the size of a makeup/compact mirror?

I can't be "run out of business", 'bo, if I ain't in one...

Did you pull the parts from a 12-incher, peve?
  • Reply 4 of 25
    oldmacfanoldmacfan Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Is it a tiny PowerBook? I don't have a ruler handy (and I don't do Metric), so what, in inches, is 15cm x 7cm? Is it about the size of a makeup/compact mirror?

I can't be "run out of business", 'bo, if I ain't in one...

cm/2.54= inches aproxx.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Hosting the image on a server that is alive would have been nice, until then ?????
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

Hosting the image on a server that is alive would have been nice, until then ?????

Alive and well, double check.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    5.9" x 2.75" - oh please. And you could view maybe the whole appleinsider logo. What the hell would you use it for, a calculator? And why so thick - it's obviously not very powerful, with a screen the size of an iPodx2.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

5.9" x 2.75" - oh please. And you could view maybe the whole appleinsider logo. What the hell would you use it for, a calculator? And why so thick - it's obviously not very powerful, with a screen the size of an iPodx2.

I think that is the size of my Ti-83, and it has a USB port if you pay the extra money for it.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Uh, yeah, I'd really like a small laptop, but 6"x3" is too small. Please don't make it any smaller than around 8"x5"... even then I'm not sure I could type on the keyboard.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    This small enough for you, Escher?
  • Reply 11 of 25
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

I don't have a ruler handy (and I don't do Metric), so what, in inches, is 15cm x 7cm? Is it about the size of a makeup/compact mirror?

You give me the occasion to say two things, well known but sometimes we forget them: (1) MacOS X Calculator has conversion routines built-in, and (2) if you are not on MacOS X, you can always try Google's calculator (assuming you can connect to the internet). Simply go to Google and in the search field type, e.g. cm to inch, then search. It will do the conversion for you. More about the Google calculator.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Ah, thanks! Actually, I entered the dimensions in Illustrator, then converted it to inches. But your method is probably quicker...

Sometimes I wish we'd go metric. It seems easier, but I just have no good reason to know it all off the top of my head. You say "5 feet" or 11 inches" and I have some idea...
  • Reply 13 of 25
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    Quote:

yep!

had to squeeze, stretch and fake a little.

i don't think i ever got that much feedback with any of my "real" threads.

i think i'll stick to mockups in the future. ;-)
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Oh, it's a scene, man...lemme tell ya!
  • Reply 15 of 25
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

cm/2.54= inches aproxx.

No its EXACTLY that. One inch is defined as 2.54 cm.

There are actually two different inches at work in the US. The International Inch witch is 2.54 cm, and the Survey Inch witch is 1/39.37 meters.

So.. whether you backwards imperial guys like it or not, you are really using the metric system, but are doing some really awkward conversions on the fly all the time.

A foot is also defined after the metric system. 1' = 30.48 cm

A yard is exactly 91.44 meters (3 feet)

A mile is exactly 1609.344 meters (5280 feet)

So..

1 mile = 5 280 feet (you can't evenly divide a mile into yards) = 63 360 inches = 1 609 344 mm

Seems simple enough!

Or..

10 km = 10 000 m = 100 000 dm = 1 000 000 cm = 10 000 000 mm.

Much better.

<troll>

I can't help doing a Mac vs PC parallell here:

PC its better because its ugly and we like it that way, and it's copied from Mac anyway, so it's really the same.

Mac is better because it's just plain better and if you PC weenies ever tried a Mac you'd know it.

</troll>

Back to topic.

I really liked the miniBook. A bit small for my taste but I'd buy one anyway If Apple made a 10" iBook thats half an inch (doh!) thick then I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I'd have mine localized in Swedish though.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

This small enough for you, Escher?

LOL, pscates.

peve's PowerThingy G4 is a bit on the small side to be practical. Even though I like small, I'm still looking for a notebook, not a PDA.

But as others have pointed out, I'd buy one anyway. The PowerThingy would probably sync more and better than my Palm, so I could probably toss that one.

The mockup looks pretty good, and I think it has to be that thick because it is so small. Of course, if it had a larger footprint, it could be made thinner and would be more to my liking. pscates' wide-screen iBook mockup is still closer to my dream (sub-) notebook.

Escher
  • Reply 17 of 25
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    did i mention the MiniThingy?

• Reply 18 of 25
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
  • Reply 19 of 25
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    MiniThingy..

must be for spy!

you can hide it anywhere.
  • Reply 20 of 25