Woke up today, my battery life sucks.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I woke up this morning, went to class, just got back, popped open my 1.25 ghz aluminum powerbook 15", and sat down on the couch.

a couple minutes passed and I decided to check the battery life, because it had been a little wonky in past days.

So, I have 98% life left, estimated at....1:05 hours!!!

When I first got this computer I would regularly get 2:30 hours, easily, usually a little more than that even. I had noticed it had gone down a little, down to about 2, but it never really got beneath that.

well, now suddenly I have lost about 45 minutes of battery life.

The only thing I can think of, is that I left the powerbook on a window sill, in freezing boston, it got *very* cold, I have heard that extremely low temperatures destroy lithium batteries, and If that is true, I'm kicking myself for leaving it there.

in writing this message I have gone from 78% to 72% with an estimated 46 minutes left.

What's the deal?!

this is really a bummer, I don't want to have to buy a whole new battery, but if there is nothing I can do about this, then I may have to

are there any 3rd party powerbook batteries that have a greater capacity than the one apple uses? I know there are for the TiBooks, but I haven't seen any for the aluminums.

also, what is the terminal line to check your battery capacity?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    that sucks, robot. I'd try to calibrate it again. Charge til full, discharge til sleep. The command for checking your bat life is:

ioreg -l | grep -i IOBatteryInfo

Good luck. BTW, if your computer is less than 6 months old, you have a good chance of getting it replaced for free. I've heard that's the cutoff point for Apple replacing them free of charge.