connection between 2 panther macs

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
well, today i connected my two macs (pb12 & imac crt) via ethernet. And surprisingly they didn't find themself automaticly. I remember, when i connected these two babies under jaguar they found themself almost instantly.

Under panther - ("go to server") i had to type in "afp://bla-bla-bla. local", which is the only way to perform a connection.

Since i haven't connected my macs under panther yet, i was not aware of that issue. Question: is that the state of the mac-art? Did i miss something? As a sidenote: either both macs run 10.3.2.

I expected my two babies would find themself automaticly, almost instantly, no? Do i have to (un-) check one particular checkbox?

thanks for patience

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    things have changed slightly...

open a new finder window

click the network icon in the left hand pane

you should now see you other mac
  • Reply 2 of 4
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

things have changed slightly...

open a new finder window

click the network icon in the left hand pane

you should now see you other mac

ok, did that, - and as you predicted, i now see my other mac. BUT, when i push "connect" an alert pops up and tells me "couldn'd find the original", than the icon of the (found) mac disappears.

-->go to server --> manually typing "afp://blablabla" still works.

I don't understand that.

further hints
  • Reply 3 of 4
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    do you have any aliases to your other mac on that machine? if so, delete them??
  • Reply 4 of 4
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

do you have any aliases to your other mac on that machine? if so, delete them??

no.

EDIT: works now, i don't know why