Time constantly running fast

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Using latest version of Panther on a G4 Emac. I've always set my time preferences to use an internet time server with no problem, however now my clock is running really fast. Like, several minutes a day fast after I reset it. Any ideas? The only domestic time server I can access is "Apple Americas/U.S. (time.apple.com)". I seem to recall before there being other U.S. choices. Is that the problem?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I've never had any other options to access any other time servers (I'm in the US). It's possible that the battery on your logic board is dying and that's causing the time to run fast. Either that or every other clock in your house is running slow

I've never had this happen to me, and I'm on the same time server you are, mine is still correct.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    are you travelling at a large fraction of the speed of light, relativistically?

that would also explain it... but you'd be seeing redshift
  • Reply 3 of 4
    The reason I noticed is that we are on a phone system at work that keeps atomic time. It's always been spot on until several weeks ago. The odd thing is that the instant my date and time panel is activated (via System Preferences), the time immediately adjusts itself correctly. Odd... I wish I could pinpoint exactly when it happened.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sharksandwich

The reason I noticed is that we are on a phone system at work that keeps atomic time. It's always been spot on until several weeks ago. The odd thing is that the instant my date and time panel is activated (via System Preferences), the time immediately adjusts itself correctly. Odd... I wish I could pinpoint exactly when it happened.

that's not odd, that's the sync with the network timeserver taking effect

IIRC, Jaguar had a "Synchronize Now" button, Panther just has a tickbox for set D&T automatically

if it were an old Mac (1990's vintage) you might get the clock battery on the mobo replaced