MAIL constantly asking for password

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Does anyone know why mail (10.3.3) constantly ask for a password to the email account its trying to use? Sometimes it works sometimes it dosent, but most of the time I get the pop up window asking to enter it in. Dosent matter if I check the save in keychain.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    That's almost always a problem on the server end, in my experience. I get that window once every couple of weeks with my ISP POP account.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dage007

Does anyone know why mail (10.3.3) constantly ask for a password to the email account its trying to use? Sometimes it works sometimes it dosent, but most of the time I get the pop up window asking to enter it in. Dosent matter if I check the save in keychain.

This happens every time access to a given mail server fails, regardless of whether or not (and "not" is usually the case) a bad password had anything to do with it.

If you click Cancel, your password won't be changed, but you'll have to manually "Take <Account Name> Online" later to resume automated e-mail checking for whatever account has failed.

I'd really like the option of having Mail simply ignore these failures, or do nothing more than mark the account it couldn't acccess with a red flag of some sort, and then get on with life rather than waiting for a human to respond to an annoying modal dialog.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Me too. I have 5 pop accounts and 1 imap account.

The 4 pop accounts are hosted on my own server and the imap is for work. These all work fine.

The pop account from my ISP pops up at random intervals. I am moving house and so will have to change ISP (no cable in new place ) so I am not bothered about chasing it up with them.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    One of my POP accounts has a minimum wait time between e-mail check requests of 10 minutes, so if I try and check my mail earlier, I get the password screen. Do you have too small of a check time?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    dage007dage007 Posts: 320member
    Good idea. I will contact the ISP and find out what there min wait time is. I know that I also have another computer checking the email account so in theory, if both computers are set to check it every 5 min, then that means the account could be accessed every 2.5 min which will most likely be too fast between checks. thanks
  • Reply 6 of 6
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Ahhhh, on many email servers if another computer attempts to connect to a mailbox that is already logged in by another mail client - you will get a similar error to "incorrect password".