Panther drop shadow bug

4fx4fx
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Has anyone else noticed a bug in Panther when displaying drop shadows on text? The drop shadow will appear slightly pixelated and distorted until you click on the icon. When you click away, it returns to displaying the drop shadow correctly. The funny thing is, it doesnt happen all the time. It does seems to happen frequently though. I know its a small bug, but I find it rather annoying...

Here is an example of what Im talking about:

Is it possible that it could be a driver problem? Im using a Radeon 9000, but have kept up to date with Software Update, so I believe I have the latest ATI drivers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    I ALWAYS see that (under the same situations as you), and that's why I try to avoid putting anything on my desktop. If you don't like the fact that it does that (which I don't like either), label all of your desktop files..

That's what I do to files that will stay there for more than 20 seconds.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yup, see it here too.

10.3.3 on a 15" AlBook
  • Reply 3 of 4
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Seems like redraws cause it to get all ugly. For example a long download in Safari where the icon gets changed based on its download progress the shadow on the text of the .download file gets worse and worse.

I actually thought you were talking about this shadow bug...its also annoying, and everywhere.

• Reply 4 of 4
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    I see both of these bugs constantly, both on my iMac at home (ATI Rage 128 Pro) and QuickSilver PM (NVidia) at work. As far as I know, it's a bug of Quartz.

The worst part of it is that windows without shadows look extremely ugly in Mac OS X because they often don't have border frames (or lack some of them). In OS 9 all windows actually have shadows too, though opaque and thin, and the shadows separate windows visually.

Bottom line. It's the price we pay for having Photoshop CE (Crippled Edition?) built in the OS.