Cleaning yr Aluminium Powerbook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
hey,

my powerbook is getting a bit grubby on the trackpad & surrounding aluminium and the external casing. What's the best way to clean it???

Thanks!

sicksicksicks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I normally cover my powerbook in francium.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    I normally run my powerbook in the dishwasher with light soap. You can then dry it in the oven at 250 degress for 30 minutes.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scottylad

I normally run my powerbook in the dishwasher with light soap. You can then dry it in the oven at 250 degress for 30 minutes.

april 1st was the other day. please, please don't do this. you might laugh but some have tried.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

april 1st was the other day. please, please don't do this. you might laugh but some have tried.

Quagmire, I'm looking in your direction! Keep the shiny PB out of the oven!
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Actually, to be perfectly honest, I've found the best way to have a completely clean, scratch-free Powerbook ... is to buy a new one.

Seriously though, my 12.1" AlBook is light years ahead of my old TiBook in terms of keeping clean and scratch free ... just the occasional rub-down with a soft, damp paper towel keeps my AlBook shining like new.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Quagmire, I'm looking in your direction! Keep the shiny PB out of the oven!

Yeah, it might cause more of that molten aluminum warping problem... (as per Quag's second thread)

Anyway... I have heard you can use an alcohol-damp lint free cloth. (The same thing you can buy in the baby-wipe container at OfficeMax for seven dollars.) Works great for me. Alcohol + Q-tips (not dripping) has always been a winner for me.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    You guys crack me up. I clean my powerbook with water. Then dry it with a soft wash cloth. Then buffer it with the screen cleaning cltoh. For the screen I use a dampened toilet paper and dry with a soft wash cloth and buffer it with the screen cleaning cloth.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

You guys crack me up. I clean my powerbook with water. Then dry it with a soft wash cloth. Then buffer it with the screen cleaning cltoh. For the screen I use a dampened toilet paper and dry with a soft wash cloth and buffer it with the screen cleaning cloth.

Um... WATER?
  • Reply 9 of 18
    quagmirequagmire Posts: 558member
    Oops, I forgot say a dampened toilet paper for both the screen and the aluminum. Cold water only. Then dry with a soft wash cloth and buffer with screen cleaning cloth. Thanks Jubelum.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

Oops, I forgot say a dampened toilet paper for both the screen and the aluminum. Cold water only. Then dry with a soft wash cloth and buffer with screen cleaning cloth. Thanks Jubelum.

Keyword(s) is (are) LINT FREE! Don't clean it with toilet paper/paper towels. They are full of lint and can be slightly abrasive. A clean cotton cloth is the best, like an old t-shirt. And I try to keep water away from my machines. I have a spray called "Endust for electronics" Spray on a cloth and wipe down the computer. It's specially formulated to kill static and keep dust away. Works extremely well, and cleans grime off too. Costs about the same as a bottle of windex.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    666666 Posts: 134member
    thanks ya'll. I used a blowtorch and some kerosine, came up a treat!!!
  • Reply 12 of 18
    sh0ewaxsh0ewax Posts: 114member
    The alcohol is the best idea. It drys nearly instantly... water sounds like such primitive idea, and it's WATER!

Hasn't been any need to clean my PB yet, if anything I need to figure out how to buff a scratch out on the bottom, from a small rock, but that's a diff story...

Rubbing alcohol in moderation would be my suggestion.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sh0eWax

The alcohol is the best idea. It drys nearly instantly... water sounds like such primitive idea, and it's WATER!

Just don't use alcohol on the LCD (or on coated photo or eyeglass lenses), it is likely to damage the coating on the screen. However, alcohol will do just find for the rest of your 'Book.

While we're at it, my iBook needs a bath!

Escher
  • Reply 14 of 18
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    The iKlear Apple Polish is great stuff, too. They send you tons of disposable (after a couple uses) microfiber cleaning cloths with the bottle plus a few "singles" to use on the road. I've found that rubbing quite diligently for a few mintues will leave the TiBook screen perfect (their formula in the iKlear Apple Polish seems different than the regular Klear Screen product, where it would clean the screen much better, without much marking frustration even if one didn't put a whole lot of elbow grease into it).
  • Reply 15 of 18
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    iirc, alcohol is ok, it's ammonia that screws up LCD screens. but i'd certainly google it before doing either one.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    sh0ewaxsh0ewax Posts: 114member
    Ammonia... Hmm that just seems like a bad idea in general, who wants their powerbook smelling like that? LOL
  • Reply 17 of 18
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

iirc, alcohol is ok, it's ammonia that screws up LCD screens. but i'd certainly google it before doing either one.

No question that Ammonia (which is found in Windex and other window cleaners) is even worse than alcohol. Ammonia can damage many plastic products. Don't use Windex or similar products on any part of your computer.

As for alcohol, as I said above, you should not use it on coated optical components, including LCDs. And if you're concerned about using water or alcohol, by all means shell out on a pack of iKlear. They'll clean your screen, and the rest of your Book, better than most other products.

Escher
  • Reply 18 of 18
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I work in a hospital so I use those little prep' pads they use to clean your arm before you get a shot. On the aluminum only though, not the screen or the plastic.