Uptime Competition

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Thought this could be kind of fun. Everyone go into your Terminal and type in:

Code:

uptime

Who can go the longest without shutting down, restarting, crashing...ect. I figure this will be a good time to do this since we just had a security update so I'm assuming no big system updates or anything like that will follow.

I'll get us all started (I know, I cheated...I haven't installed the most recent security update due to lack of HDD space...don't ask)

This is from a 300Mhz G3 Clamshell iBook running 10.3.2

Up: 28 days, 3 hours, and 25 minutes.

I'll post my Cube and Sawtooth soon...if this catches on.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    not strictly osx but...

openbsd 342 days

linux (gentoo) - 22 days ..i rebuilt the kernel recently

oldest uptime was close to 400 days

powerbook.... 2 days thanks to the updates
  • Reply 2 of 39
    noleli2noleli2 Posts: 129member
    My record on my TiBook is 30 days and some change. But right now it's a lot shorter 'cause of the security update.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    176 days. OSX on iMac 15". (I know, I know, this thing needs a wad of updates.) I just can't seem to make myself reboot it. Psychosis sucks.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Does mine count?

112 days... iBook 300Mhz.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Wow, you guys are kicking my butt! 28 days sucks now! I'll catch up someday though.

Gotta love Macs (and non Windows systems)
  • Reply 6 of 39
    How about a "What's the shortest time your mac has been up" thread?

Mines just clocked 10 mins
  • Reply 7 of 39
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Xserve serving homedirs to users: 264 days and counting

Another Xserve doing the same at a different location: 197 days and counting.

None of them have been restarted since they were started the first time - I have to install 10.3 soon though.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Ah, it says so much.

• Reply 9 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Ah, it says so much.

Amen to that
  • Reply 10 of 39
    I shutdown every night...

However the Linux cluster that I built at my highschool (for a project using a bunch of old school computers) has been up (every node) for around 47 days. This is nothing compared to some of you but hey...
  • Reply 11 of 39
  • Reply 12 of 39
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    I've been pretty disappointed in the number of restarts I've had to do with OS X since I started running it a few months ago.

I don't think I've gone more than a week without having to restart.

* Security/system updates - no problem

* App update like iChat - no reason to force a restart for a patch

* Some apps that went bad in fullscreen mode and there was no way to get the system to go back to the desktop

* Some mystery bug where the screen stays black after logging back in from the screensaver

Although I have only had two kernel panics ever. One from Samba in Jaguar. And one with some bad OpenGL code.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I haven't been able to get anywhere near some of these uptimes. My Bullshit Radar is ticking really fast right now.

Or, I could play along, and say my uptime max is 310 days. What the hell, it's not like you'd know I was lying.

• Reply 14 of 39
    Yeah, I am sure I would have a crazy uptime if it was not for Apple requiring a restart on everything they release. Mine is just at 4 days or something like that now. Oh well.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    What are load averages?
  • Reply 16 of 39
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tuttle

I've been pretty disappointed in the number of restarts I've had to do with OS X since I started running it a few months ago.

I don't think I've gone more than a week without having to restart.

* Security/system updates - no problem

* App update like iChat - no reason to force a restart for a patch

* Some apps that went bad in fullscreen mode and there was no way to get the system to go back to the desktop

* Some mystery bug where the screen stays black after logging back in from the screensaver

Although I have only had two kernel panics ever. One from Samba in Jaguar. And one with some bad OpenGL code.

STOP B*TCHING!!!!! windwos needs to be rebooted EVERY DAY atleast - damn thing dont take too kindly to my breed of exrteam multitasking - even xp

<more to say>

NEW RECORD WINDOWS UPTIME for me: 12 hrs!!!!
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Is there a way to find load averages older than 15 seconds?

Either way my load average generally fluctuates between 0.30 to 1.40..
  • Reply 18 of 39
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    My uptime would probably be in the 20 day range, but the rest of the people in my family always shut down my computer when they use it, so I'm only at about 5 days.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

STOP B*TCHING!!!!! windwos needs to be rebooted EVERY DAY atleast - damn thing dont take too kindly to my breed of exrteam multitasking - even xp

<more to say>

NEW RECORD WINDOWS UPTIME for me: 12 hrs!!!!

My good friend, a PC centric geek, runs his Windows 2003 Server box as a file server and it has been up for three months now. We are afraid to turn it off, or tuch it for that matter... it might go ka-boom. Hehe. His workstation running Windows XP lasted 20 days of heavy use before it rebooted itself. And by heavy use I mean constant downloading/uploading (P2P), puching 5 monitors -- yes 5, various programs, and running SETI in the background. Sometimes the box would start to crawl and act funny... but killing/restarting explorer (not IE) put it back in it's place for a bit.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by SilentEchoes

Is there a way to find load averages older than 15 seconds?

Either way my load average generally fluctuates between 0.30 to 1.40..

the load average is how many processes are waiting in the queue. so the higher the load average, the more bogged down your computer is. this is handy for if you are doing work on a remote server and you want to pick one that isn't being used by a lot of other people. just type uptime and peek at the load averages, and if the 15 minute one is below 1 then you are good. of course even if they are high, it could be a backgrounded batch process that has a low priority. but that's another discussion.