Patent for new iMac display arm!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
This is pretty interesting. I don't think this will be in any new products, but take a look. I'll just give you the link for now cause it's easier than explaining: linker

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    That would be funky, and more than a little strange.

But it would work, and it would probably be cheaper than the current arm.

Of course, the writer loses the plot and goes off about a headless iMac, yadda yadda, but it's interesting to see what alternatives Apple has been considering...
  • Reply 2 of 18
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    Actually, it's for an old iMac display arm. It was applied for in 2001, before the current iMac was released.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    IIRC, this was the original idea for the iMac's display arm, and they had to abaondon it, though I can't remember the exact reasons. It was either that it was deemed too funky for mass consumption, too flimsy for a child's abuse or too costly to make it work on all those models as reliably as the current arm.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

"John Kheit is an attorney."

a-t-t... Funny way to spell "Award-Winning Professional Industrial Designer".

Quote:

"cheap lamps were the inspiration for Apple's consumer desktop machines"

Cheap shot. That's like saying the iPod is just a ripoff of Ivory soap or a deck of cards or a walkman.

Guess he doesn't understand there are universal, basic forms in industrial design. The genius is in utilizing and executing them in functional and attractive ways. Being the first to dare to use a form in a previously unthought of way is what keeps Apple "Apple".

If you do it uniquely enough it becomes trade dress that you can sue over. 8)
  • Reply 5 of 18
    What century do you live in? 0_o
  • Reply 6 of 18
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member

That thing looks funny as can be! If Steve would've rolled that out onto the MWSF stage two years ago, he would've gotten shot. Or laughed out of the building.

The chrome arm is beautiful.

Eek...what could've been...

It's reasons like this that, at some point in my life - maybe when Apple has long folded and been forgotten about or all the current players and figures are dead and gone - I'd love to see a coffee table book created, featuring nothing but pages from Ive's notebook, Jobs' napkin doodles and other Apple employees and contractors' initial sketches, models, prototypes, etc.

That would have to be one of the most enjoyable, interesting books that could ever be made. Well, to me anyway...I LOVE this kind of stuff.

And I'd die to see some of Ive's rejected ideas! Can you imagine some of the cool stuff there would be? I'd love to see the first sketch made when the concept of the iMac first came up. Same with the iBook, the LCD iMac, the Cinema Display, etc.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

What century do you live in? 0_o

Talking to me? (I seriously can't tell)

Um...Did I at all, anywhere, say I liked the snake design?

Is that what you meant? Or were you referring to something else I said?

There is "pithy" and then there is "vague"...

Try again please.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Actually, I think that "snake arm" is pretty awesome. It's more functional, in theory at least.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    2001? This arm was "just another failed mutation" (which should be the Longhorn tag line)

Apple has a wad of patents it will never use. Probably just to provide actual BS for the rumor mill...
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Talking to me? (I seriously can't tell)

Um...Did I at all, anywhere, say I liked the snake design?

Is that what you meant? Or were you referring to something else I said?

There is "pithy" and then there is "vague"...

Try again please.

Nothing like that actually.. But let it rest..
  • Reply 11 of 18
    This idea was dropped because you need two hands to control it. The handle attached to the screen releases the tension to allow for reposition. The problem is when you only have one hand. You squeeze the lever and your beautiful screen takes a dive! Thats why the current design is able to reposition with just one hand. Steve's actually not crazy about the aesthetics of the current design. Too bulky looking.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    How on earth do you know that? I don't mean that to sound jerky at all, but I'm curious.

I can't imagine him saying that in any sort of interview (CEOs tend to not cast their own stuff in a negative light). Do you know him then, or know people at Apple who know him who've heard him express displeasure with the iMac?

He gushed about it quite enthusiastically during the unveiling, the Time Canada interview, in a couple of following keynotes (the 17" in summer 2002), etc. Apparently the basic idea of it was his damn idea (if you can believe that Time interview part about the sunflower garden stuff).

Again, just curious how you'd know something like that, and where you'd hear it. Did he say this in a more recent interview or conference call? If so, that's kinda odd!

I couldn't imagine Gates saying "XP is kinda lacking...".

In any case, how can a 2" diameter sleek chrome pole be "bulky"? The LCD iMac is about the most UN-bulky thing I've ever seen.

• Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

How on earth do you know that? I don't mean that to sound jerky at all, but I'm curious.

In any case, how can a 2" diameter sleek chrome pole be "bulky"? The LCD iMac is about the most UN-bulky thing I've ever seen.

I'd be silly to reveal my source, but yes Steve did think the current arm is not the ideal design. These comments were never said in any interview. He also thinks the base of the current iMac is still too big. He really wanted to make the base smaller and the neck thinner. Previous designs were much more streamlined and more compact. The existing neck was the most safest in supporting such a heavy monitor. I have no idea what the next generation of imac will be.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Bounty hunters...
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Interesting, if I do say so myself.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    I don't see how the patent office can grant such patents. Displays with arms just like those are visible in the old Star Trek episode "The Menagerie". (Actually, that episode is derived from the original series pilot, made around 1964.)

The design is obvious, and I'm sure there is more prior art than the Star Trek episode.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

I don't see how the patent office can grant such patents. Displays with arms just like those are visible in the old Star Trek episode "The Menagerie". (Actually, that episode is derived from the original series pilot, made around 1964.)

The design is obvious, and I'm sure there is more prior art than the Star Trek episode.

The patent for this design is not the look really, I'm sure it is the internal design that goes along with it. Star Trek could have just used some low grade and cheap as hell materials to give their props a nice futuristic look, but they didnt have the actual technology in place to make them real products. So, I think the form is not what is patented, it is the internal design that goes with it.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

Look closely at the drawings. The lever allows the neck to become limp, which allows the monitor to be repositioned. Once the lever is depressed, the neck will hold that position. There's more than meets the eye in the illustration.