logitech Z-680 on a g4 dual

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
hello

i have a question about the z-680 speakerset, im gettin really tired of that single internal speaker on my dual G4 876 so i want to get a decent sound system

the z-680 caught my eye cause i also watch a lot of movies on my computer, and some decent sound is something i have been looking for for quite some time now, problem is it doesnt say anything about g4 or g3 macs,

will this system work on my mac, i now i wont have the 5.1 effect cause i only got a stock soundcard and that prolly doesnt support 5.1

i think i kinda know the answer but i really wanne make sure before i go and spend that much money, will they work on my mac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    It won't work unless you buy an aftermarket sound card. Right now, the one you would want to get is the M-audio Revolution 7.1 card. Not only is it popular among PC enthusiasts as well as Mac users, but it's one of the only surround sound cards that is Mac compatible.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    skully25skully25 Posts: 42member
    yes i know i wont get surround sound, but my question is will i get any sound at all?

for as far as i know they are just speakers so they should work if i hook em up right (forget about the surround sound for a second)?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Well, I think you'll only be able to connect two of them. If that's what you're doing, you may as well get the cheaper 2.1 version of those Logitech speakers (which are also very good, but not surround). My brother borrowed a 4.1 set from a friend one time and connected two of them to his PowerMac, so it should work.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    skully25skully25 Posts: 42member
    ok thanks for your help, there is a good chance i will be able to get a G5 in a couple of months, so i think im gonna buy this set anyway even if i can only connect 2 speakers on my G4, at least il have a decent system when i get a G5
  • Reply 5 of 6
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    I believe you can do stereo x2 with them, as well as prologic decoding (creates 5 pseudo channels out of 2 channels).

You may need a cable splitter to do stereo x2, not sure.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    londorlondor Posts: 258member
    The Z680 system has an integrated Dolby ProLogic II decoder that creates a 5.1 soundfield from two-channel sources. On the G5 you have to use the optical link to get true Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1