My 5000$ Ti-ncan - Drop a Lawsuit on Apple?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Post Removed

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Um... you did the repairs yourself, violating warrantee.

You let the warrantee lapse, and *DECIDED* not to extend it.

Now you want the warrantee?

Um...

I don't think that legally you have a leg to stand on.
  • Reply 2 of 63
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Specifics? Might help.

Quote:

Originally posted by skaimauve

Note: Before I get labelled suspicious traitor...

- I have been working on Mac since 1984

- I have converted many friends & businesses to Mac

- I owned a SE, a 6100, a 6400, a B&W G3, an iBook, a PB G4 etc

- I own a business providing Mac support

None of that exempts you from being a traitor It just highlights the depth of your traitorousness. Kidding about the traitor part.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    Post removed
  • Reply 4 of 63
    Post removed
  • Reply 5 of 63
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Hi Kickaha

My story might not be that clear, here is another take on it:

I was told by Apple that my problems (paint, DVD, dark areas on the screen) were not covered by warranty while my laptop was still under warranty.

Then I fixed the computer myself and did not extend the warranty (why pay?).

Three months later, Apple tells me that I would have been covered if I had the extended warranty: between fall 2002 and spring 2003, they changed their mind regarding the paint problems.

I can sympathize, but I still don't see that you have a legal standing in this case.

The paint was an issue that took them a long time to address, definitely.

The screen issue is something that doesn't surprise me - all backlights dim with age. The TiBooks had a faster-than-usual deathrate for some of them - looks like you were one of the unlucky ones.

I guess I'm Steve Jobs' bitch, but I always get AppleCare on my laptops - they get too much abuse in everyday use to not make it worth it. (In your case, that $550 would have saved you $900 + a new screen yes?)

Apple's getting better about addressing hardware issues... not perfect, not even what I'd call 'great', but better. I've gone toe to toe with the Darwin development team over more things than I've had to have addressed through AppleCare. :P

(Oh, those rubber feet on the screen? Try swabbing them with alcohol - sounds like they got gunky... I've seen it before, and it's an accumulation of sweat, dust, and such, not the actual rubber degrading. If it's otherwise, I'd love to know.)
  • Reply 6 of 63
    Post removed
  • Reply 7 of 63
    Quote:

No, it is the rubber itself: the rubber is now completely gone. Follow the link below the picture to read someone else's account.

Yea the rubber degrades, it happened to ours at work. All of our Ti books have gotten crappy over time. That paint job was just a BAD idea
  • Reply 8 of 63
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I'm confused. If YOUR computer is in such bad shape, why are you showing pictures of OTHERS' computers and not your own (or am I missing something)?
  • Reply 9 of 63
    Post Removed
  • Reply 10 of 63
    Post removed
  • Reply 11 of 63
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I bought one of the first 500Mhz PowerBook G4's, received it in February 2001, and it has been running like a champ ever since. No problems until I got a new powerbook and gave it to my mom about a year and a half ago. Since then there has been some paint wear from the wrists. Somehow I never had this problem. I imagine it's due to all the metal junk she wears on her wrists.
  • Reply 12 of 63
    matveimatvei Posts: 193member
    This is sooo sad...

I feel for you. My ibook has been a real trooper, I hope my future laptop (probably a powerbook g5 rev. b) is as good a purchase.
  • Reply 13 of 63
    Post removed
  • Reply 14 of 63
    skaimauve,

Nobody want's to spend that much money and get problems like the ones you have had. For this I feel sorry for you.

But...

You have no case... non at all. As a consumer, it is your job to fully understand every aspect of what you are about to invest in. YOU voided your warranty, simple as that.
  • Reply 15 of 63
    mystmyst Posts: 112member
    The only question I can of is: How the hell did you manage to destroy that so badly?

I have had a Ti for 3 years and its still in perfect condition. Get a carrying case or something next time. I mean holy shizzzzzzzznack. I just don't see how that could happen. You must abuse that laptop.

Perhaps you should learn that painted metal can't take the same abuse as plastic. Treat your PowerBooks with more respect.
  • Reply 16 of 63
    Post removed
  • Reply 17 of 63
    Post removed
  • Reply 18 of 63
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    You have no case, I'm afraid. It's Apple's perogative to decide what they cover and do not cover; just because they have increased what they cover after you allowed your warranty to expire does not mean they've been fraudulant or negligent, which is what you'd have to prove to make a lawsuit stick.

It's really too bad, and you have my symapthies, for the $.02 they are worth.
  • Reply 19 of 63
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Here is the true story of my 5000$ Ti'ncan

Customer Service at Apple is helpless... after 3 months, looks like they are not taking my "lemon" back, standing behind an arrogant application of the warranty policy:

1. Problems were not covered while the laptop was under warranty. I had to fix the laptop myself, and I was told that I was voiding the warranty by doing so!

2. Once the warranty expired, I was told that if I had extended the warranty, I would have been covered!

Since others have experienced similar issues, I have set-up a yahoo group (tibook-problems) to discuss how to pressure Apple or take legal action.

Our goals include:

1. having the laptops repaired at Apple's cost

2. instituting a reimbursement program for those who already have paid for repairs

3. establishing a clear policy on how a product defect is determined

If you have experience with legal actions and Apple, feel free to join too!

Note: Before I get labelled suspicious traitor...

- I have been working on Mac since 1984

- I have converted many friends & businesses to Mac

- I owned a SE, a 6100, a 6400, a B&W G3, an iBook, a PB G4 etc

- I own a business providing Mac support

its a sad story but you would loose any case you think you have

sorry

PS
  • Reply 20 of 63
    Post removed