Downloading iPhoto

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was screwing around with iPhoto today and something happened and I couldn't open it, next thing I know, its deleted. Is there any LEGAL way to get it back? BTW its iPhoto 2.

EDIT: Actually I don't think its entirely delted. The iPhoto icon isn't there, its like a picture of a paper with a compass/ ruler/pencil (I cant really tell). I click on it and it blinks and the little black arrow on the dock flashes but thats all I get. It doesn't open.

Thanks

Logan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Logan

I was screwing around with iPhoto today and something happened and I couldn't open it, next thing I know, its deleted. Is there any LEGAL way to get it back? BTW its iPhoto 2.

Thanks

Logan

You can extract it from the installer cds that came with your computer. You want to use Pacifist to do that. I've never used the program but I know it'll do what you want.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    My CD drive is broken.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Hello? Anything else?
  • Reply 4 of 23
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Perhaps try searching on Apple's Support site for iPhoto??

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120188

Took five seconds.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Perhaps try searching on Apple's Support site for iPhoto??

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=120188

Took five seconds.

Thanks.

P.S. Why search it when I can just post my question and come back on my own time?
  • Reply 6 of 23
    OK, so I decided to shell out the $50 to get iLife 04. Now that I have it, and my CD-DVD ROM drive is broken as I already mentioned, I'm trying to install it. I'm using an external CD drive that has no DVD capabilities; when I insert the iLife CD disk (not the DVD one) into the external CD-ROM drive, I run the installer and it tells me: "Your computer has a DVD drive, insert the DVD then try installing again." Well my internal DVD-CD ROM drive is broken so what the hell do I do?

Logan
  • Reply 7 of 23
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    Quote:

OK, so I decided to shell out the $50 to get iLife 04. Now that I have it, and my CD-DVD ROM drive is broken as I already mentioned, I'm trying to install it. I'm using an external CD drive that has no DVD capabilities; when I insert the iLife CD disk (not the DVD one) into the external CD-ROM drive, I run the installer and it tells me: "Your computer has a DVD drive, insert the DVD then try installing again." Well my internal DVD-CD ROM drive is broken so what the hell do I do?

Logan

Open your case up and unplug the power cable that is connected to the broken drive.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    This thread might help out, I think they had a similar issue:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...ighlight=ilife
  • Reply 9 of 23
    I have a PowerBook G4 17" can I do that?
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Thanks, but no that thread didn't help me as this is the only mac in the house. Also I have a PowerBook so I don't think I can just yank it out can I?
  • Reply 11 of 23
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    I'd try just using Disk Utility to make a disk image of the CD after you insert it into the external CD drive, then try installing off the Disk image.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

I'd try just using Disk Utility to make a disk image of the CD after you insert it into the external CD drive, then try installing off the Disk image.

Tried that. Still no luck.

Logan
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Insert the Install CD.

Select the "Install" shortcut in the Finder and press apple-R. This will reveal a hidden directory that contains each of the individual installer packages

Now, install each of the following individually:

iMovie.pkg

iPhoto.mpkg

iTunes4.pkg

Voila!

I hope this helps.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    YES!!!! It worked. Thanks a ton. Now, is there any downside to installing them separately? As in, are they not integrated or something to that effect?

Logan
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Alright, one more problem, all my library gets imported and it makes this recovered photos album and empties all my others. Well that's no problem, I just recreate the albums and I'm fine. But I only have 473 photos in the library, but when I look in my finder, there are about 30 more that just aren't viewable in iPhoto. What gives?

Logan
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Bump. Help much needed.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Alright, one more problem, all my library gets imported and it makes this recovered photos album and empties all my others. Well that's no problem, I just recreate the albums and I'm fine. But I only have 473 photos in the library, but when I look in my finder, there are about 30 more that just aren't viewable in iPhoto. What gives?

Logan

I'm thinking the auto-import picked up some non-photo files and tried to import them anyway.

Get Info (in iPhoto) and see if they are in fact JPG files. You can just remove them from your Library if I'm right, deletion and all (since the iPhoto Library files are just imported duplicates of the originals).
  • Reply 18 of 23
    I figured that out, but now I dont have as many pictures as I originally had.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    I figured that out, but now I dont have as many pictures as I originally had.

EDIT : Sorry about double post
  • Reply 20 of 23
    This is a big problem, I have the pictures in my iPhoto Library and I can view them in the finder, I just cant get them into/to display in the iPhoto program. I need a quick fix please.

Thanks

Logan