Microsoft Office 2004

Comments

• Reply 101 of 192
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    I have a prerelease version of Office 2004 running now, so if anyone has any questions I'll be happy to talk about them.

So far I've mainly used Entourage and Word, and I have to say that both are noticably more responsive than v.X was--I feel like I'm using Office 2001 again.

Also, I dig the 3 column view in Entourage--didn't think I would be able to adapt, but it's a breeze and much, much better.
  • Reply 102 of 192
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

I have a prerelease version of Office 2004 running now, so if anyone has any questions I'll be happy to talk about them.

So far I've mainly used Entourage and Word, and I have to say that both are noticably more responsive than v.X was--I feel like I'm using Office 2001 again.

Also, I dig the 3 column view in Entourage--didn't think I would be able to adapt, but it's a breeze and much, much better.

Does it support saving file that have names longer than 31 characters?
  • Reply 103 of 192
    Abso-fvcking-lutely. First thing I checked.

• Reply 104 of 192
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kirkland

....Since any family with children of school age, all college students, and all educational professionals qualify, over half of American households qualify for S&T Edition. And since the S&T software can be installed on any three machines (with no restriction on concurrent use), it's by far the most economical option for the average home user of Office. ....

Isnt that discriminatory priceing, what about the single and childless, that could, theoreticly be a huge lawseuit waiting to happen, not realy legit, but this same American court system gave a braud 2.5mil for spilling her coffee and being surprised when it's hot, gee McDonalds aint that slow but realy, if this is a badly covered way to sell a "home" version, then it is descriminatory against the childless and/or single people and what about homosexuals who cant have kids....
  • Reply 105 of 192
    That isn't discriminatory pricing--it's just *pricing*, as in "we have a number of different prices." Unless it discriminates on the basis of race or something else that has been ruled illegal to discriminate on the basis of (which is a short list) there's nothing actionable here.
  • Reply 106 of 192
    kirklandkirkland Posts: 594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

Isnt that discriminatory priceing, what about the single and childless, that could, theoreticly be a huge lawseuit waiting to happen, not realy legit, but this same American court system gave a braud 2.5mil for spilling her coffee and being surprised when it's hot, gee McDonalds aint that slow but realy, if this is a badly covered way to sell a "home" version, then it is descriminatory against the childless and/or single people and what about homosexuals who cant have kids....

I'm about at the point where I'd pay $2.5 million to have people stop bringing this case up as evidence of America's "wonky" court system. There are much better examples. In the McDonalds case, McDonalds had been cited repeatedly for serving coffee at dangerously hot temperatures, sometimes in excess of legal limits. The cup in question did not have its lid securely fastened by McDonalds employees, and caused 2nd and 3rd degree burns to the elderly woman in question. The amount of money awarded by the jury in damages was later cut down to around 1/8 that amount by the judge, enough to cover medical bills. The original sum was the amount of gross receipts McDonalds brings in selling coffee on one day. McDonalds was selling a dangerously hot product, had been called on it before, and their refusal to turn down the heat on their coffee to more reasonable levels is what caused both the injury and the punitive damages amount.

And as for Office S&T edition ?_no one ever checks to see if the people buying the product actually qualify, and the BSA has no authority to inspect an individual's home. Nor would Microsoft ever want to. In other words, they're quietly encouraging all non-business users to buy S&T edition.

Kirk
  • Reply 107 of 192
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yeah do some freakin research people. Look up WHERE it spilled. If it spilled there on YOU, YOU would be pissed too. In fact you might not be able to have children. Savvy?
  • Reply 108 of 192
    Back on track: I have office 2004. is there anything people need to know about it?
  • Reply 109 of 192
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Back on track: I have office 2004. is there anything people need to know about it?

Do you know what format the audio recordings are kept in? Can you separate them out and convert it to MP3 or AAC?
  • Reply 110 of 192
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Do you know what format the audio recordings are kept in? Can you separate them out and convert it to MP3 or AAC?

where theres a will, there is a hacker give it a month or two
  • Reply 111 of 192
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Yeah do some freakin research people. Look up WHERE it spilled. If it spilled there on YOU, YOU would be pissed too. In fact you might not be able to have children. Savvy?

The amount of damage and suffering is irrelevant before establishing who's responsible.

Personally, I think it's a twisted world where a shop is responsible for its product damaging customers when that product is exactly what the customers want to buy, including the quality that makes it more dangerous. People have preferred McD coffee over other alternatives because the hotter coffee is better for takeaway and/or is perceived to taste better.

I expect hot beverage to injure when spilled. People should watch out for it, regardless of its exact temperature.

Compare with top knife companies. A lot of people have never used a knife as sharp as they come in a factory box from Spyderco. If they slice half their finger off when trying out their new knife, is Spyderco guilty for not making knives dull enough to conform to some unwritten standard of mediocrity? Again, people know knives can cut, so a reasonable person would handle the knife with care, regardless of its exact sharpness.

Another parallel. My great-grandfather died of pneumonia he got immediately after getting hospitalized with near-lethal scalds. He forgot to add cold water before pouring a bucketful of boiling bathwater on himself. Who do you think my grandfather should have sued for his father's death? A boiler maker?
  • Reply 112 of 192
    If people want to talk about all this litigious crap, could you please take it to private message or AO?

As far as Office 2004 goes, it lets you record in AAC, AIFF and WAV in a variety of quality levels, so i doubt there will be problems manipulating the clips. The default format is AAC.
  • Reply 113 of 192
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I wonder if you could record interviews on an iBook, then use speech rec technology to dump it into Word? Maybe IBM could sell an add-on.
  • Reply 114 of 192
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

[...]

[...]

That's the part that I was waiting to hear. Looks like I will be coughing up a few $ to update my Office X. Probably the repsonsiveness level is what it should have been to begin with, but hey, I'll still pay, and with only a little whining.
  • Reply 115 of 192
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Do you know if you can set up the Entourage Palm Conduit to work with iSync?

Palm Desktop is deader than Elvis.
  • Reply 116 of 192
    i don't know--I just launched the installer that comes with it, and judging from the notes it sounds like it expects to simply work with the HotSync Manager. There's no mention of iSync in the docs, so I'd guess no.
  • Reply 117 of 192
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Any idea of whether or not the Entourage Exchange support still requires MS Server 2000+?

My company has clung to the dead-horse 5.5 release out of fear & laziness, and I would love for "true" exchange support (plug in your server, name & password) like you get in Outlook 2001.

Also, any ability to support photos for address book entries like Apple's Address Book?
  • Reply 118 of 192
    I did some digging, but I can't tell what the specific specs are for Exchange support. I can say that from the help descriptions it sounds like it works more like Outlook 2001, but I don't have Exchange servers to fiddle with.

Address book entries have space for pictures, if that's what you mean by support.
  • Reply 119 of 192
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    According to Amazon, May 19th is the release date for Office with VPC. May 10th for the non-VPC versions.

Just thought you guys might want to know / update your carts. Looks like a pretty decent discount on the Professional upgrade too. Not sure I need VPC for anything so I'll probably use my lifelong learner status to buy the eductional edition, but it was worth mentioning in case any of you are VPC geeks.
  • Reply 120 of 192
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Does it...

Support .PST files?

Display the Exchange GAL properly?

Allow users to change their Exchange/AD password properly?