OT-Philosophy from a non-philosopher

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi,

No special reason for this, just an example of what can happen when the mind wanders - - -

Animate beings are born, exist for a time, then die.

How and when they die depends usually on external factors.

Humans belong to this class. The creations of humans follow the same trajectory. These creations include, IMHO, empires, nations, cultures, institutions, enterprises, associations, clubs - even - and here I may tread on sensitive toes- religions, ideologies and philosophies (though history seems to bear me out).

Even the universe, if I can accept what I read, has a finite life.

The principles of mathematics, the laws of physics and the concept of time may seem to be eternal and immutable but the accepted wisdom sems to be that they, too, came into existence with the Big Bang.

My conclusion is that I should:

Try to live happily, try to avoid hurting other beings, try to be creative in a way that contributes to human well-being, try to be content with what I have today .

Avoid thoughts and actions that fail to take account of possible adverse effects on others

Not seek to apply a single ideology to human problems - because universal solutions of human problems are a chimera, a mirage, the rainbow's end.

Sooner or later, everything ceases to exist. So, relax and be grateful.

Enough, peace

eric j

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    I would think that this thread belongs in Apple Outsider, not General Discussion. Anyway...

Quote:

Originally posted by eric j

My conclusion is that I should:

Try to live happily, try to avoid hurting other beings, try to be creative in a way that contributes to human well-being, try to be content with what I have today.

This philosopher (trained as such in college with a B.A. in philosophy) can only agree with you, except that too much contentment may get in the way of trying to contribute to human well-being. If you're happy with what you have, why strive for more?

One more question, eric j: Are you vegetarian? Or do you think that trying to avoid hurting other beings is compatible with eating meat. (I would think so. And I would hate to give up eating meat. )

Escher (born and raised in Zurich, a short drive from Basel, and still a Zuercher in his heart)
  • Reply 2 of 2
    eric jeric j Posts: 43member
    Hello Escher,

I'm a Brit, since 1980 living and working in Basel. My wife is a Baslerin, so I have heard many of the old jibes, Basel vs. Zürich and vice versa. After all this time and the friendly reception I received in BSL. I feel completely at home here.

By training I am a mechanical engineer but have spent a lot of time in marketing and business planning.

For 5 years I commuted, BSL to Winterthur, so I have enjoyed working with "the Swiss" too.

You pose a moral dilemma re. vegetarianism. I eat meat and fish. Is this compatible with what I said? Not entirely. Like many humans my behaviour is not always consistent with my inner wishes.

As someone once said "I am large, I contain contradictions"

You have noticed that I said "I try - - "

Thanks for your reply, I wish you well.

Peace

eric j