Uptime Competition

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Err yeah I know what load averages are, but I have no idea why I said seconds instead of minutes. \

I guess sleep every now and then would be good.
  • Reply 22 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by SilentEchoes

Err yeah I know what load averages are, but I have no idea why I said seconds instead of minutes. \

I guess sleep every now and then would be good.

whoops, i meant to reply to majormat's "what are load averages". damn these hands, they heed not my will!!
  • Reply 23 of 39
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Repeat after me...

Windows XP is stable.

OS X is stable.

Use a system for a while before you just go out and decide to bash it without knowledge. Bash MS ideas, MS programming, but try to know what you are talking about.

...now I get to wait for "I know what I'm talking about, I have a friend..." or "I know what I'm talking about I have an XP box..." Either you or your friend is stupid, with XP you don't have to be a genius to get good uptimes. I'm sure there are those who could complain about OS X and there were already. Windows is fun to bash, but bash it for the right reasons.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    ast3r3x,

Are you commenting about a_greer's post?

You are right, Windows XP is stable, rock solid in fact, with the right hardware. But I can also understand why some people would rather take turns bashing it till there's nothing left to bash. In the end we have to make a choice, do we sit by as people bash for the sake of bashing or do we take action and voice what we think.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

ast3r3x,

Are you commenting about a_greer's post?

You are right, Windows XP is stable, rock solid in fact, with the right hardware. But I can also understand why some people would rather take turns bashing it till there's nothing left to bash. In the end we have to make a choice, do we sit by as people bash for the sake of bashing or do we take action and voice what we think.

Yes completely commenting about a-greer's post. I dislike windows as much as the next person, but people sound just as ignorant as a PC person misstating facts about mac's when you say things like it has to be rebooted everyday. Then when mac users read that and don't work with XP PC's they think that XP is just as unstable as previous versions of windows.

The truth is something to be sought after...and not those gay cigarette commercials

I don't mind windows bashing as long as it's for the right reasons, and with XP, I definately don't think stability is one of those reasons. If you bash it for another reason, I'll gladly jump in and help piss on windows with you, but don't piss on something you don't know anything about, it could be an electric fence (never done this but hear it hurts like the dicken's)
  • Reply 26 of 39
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    We had a Sun at work that was "forgotten" about. It was up to two years. No one was really using it though.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    if you check uptime stats on netcraft or anywhere else

the top 10 are invariably unix machines

i rarely need to boot my unix boxes & then only if theres

a major hardware change or kernel config

& yes these are full blown production boxes & not just lying

around idling.

upimes of months or years are very common as anyone with

enterprise class experience will attest.

on the windows side im running win2k & on an avg i reboot

once every 3-5 months. I code very heavily on that machine

& havent had any issues with it so far
  • Reply 28 of 39
    ast3r3x,

I compleatly agree with you. AI tends to be swamped with ignorant people of late.

Anyhow...
  • Reply 29 of 39
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    What I tryed to say earlier was the way I use windows xp it needs to be restarted like once a day: I am constantly opening, closeing and useing tons of apps at once, it is not at all unusual for me to have a compiler, email app, 3-5 web windows, ITunes or win. media player, and 2 messengers at once. for normal use or server use xp is pretty stable as is/was 2k(more stable than xp in my experiance)

but yes I have crashed xp pretty hard several times, some people do get amazing uptimes with xp but I don't, at least not on my current rig.
  • Reply 30 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

My good friend, a PC centric geek, runs his Windows 2003 Server box as a file server and it has been up for three months now. We are afraid to turn it off, or tuch it for that matter... it might go ka-boom. Hehe. His workstation running Windows XP lasted 20 days of heavy use before it rebooted itself. And by heavy use I mean constant downloading/uploading (P2P), puching 5 monitors -- yes 5, various programs, and running SETI in the background. Sometimes the box would start to crawl and act funny... but killing/restarting explorer (not IE) put it back in it's place for a bit.

Does your friend install critical updates? there have been a few lately and not installing them is dangurous and silly. To the best of my knoledge and experiance these updates requier a reboot. this is another windows uptime killer, patches that need reboots.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

this is another windows uptime killer, patches that need reboots.

err yeah but its an OS X uptime killer to. Almost every update Apple releases requires a restart... And there are usually at-least 2 a month.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    Quote:

Does your friend install critical updates? there have been a few lately and not installing them is dangurous and silly. To the best of my knoledge and experiance these updates requier a reboot. this is another windows uptime killer, patches that need reboots.

He does... not too often but he does...

You see his network is setup so he does not have to worry about updates on his workstation or server (or any other computer on his basement network for that matter). His house has computers scattered everywhere... each one has a different job, one of which is just for online security. It is directly connected to the net and feeds out internet access to the house, it has a bunch of software on it that does a great job at keeping his network safe. He still needs to update his Windows box, don't get me wrong, but he often leaves updates for a day when he has jack to do.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

I haven't been able to get anywhere near some of these uptimes. My Bullshit Radar is ticking really fast right now.

Or, I could play along, and say my uptime max is 310 days. What the hell, it's not like you'd know I was lying.

Thats because mur you sell your computer before you need to restart it...
  • Reply 34 of 39
    chaserchaser Posts: 63member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Repeat after me...

Windows XP is stable.

OS X is stable.

Use a system for a while before you just go out and decide to bash it without knowledge. Bash MS ideas, MS programming, but try to know what you are talking about.

...now I get to wait for "I know what I'm talking about, I have a friend..." or "I know what I'm talking about I have an XP box..." Either you or your friend is stupid, with XP you don't have to be a genius to get good uptimes. I'm sure there are those who could complain about OS X and there were already. Windows is fun to bash, but bash it for the right reasons.

Currently, I'm a Windows XP user, and have used windows, not a Mac for 16 years (all my life). I have a right to bash it, and I am. I use it everyday and the specs are as follows...

P4 2.4Ghz 533FSB

nVidia GeForce FX 5200 256MB

512MB Ram

Anyways, hardware wise, it's pretty average, if not above average in the PC world... But running Windows, I get many blue screens of death, and errors... lock ups, etc... I'm sick of it. Right now my mom and dad are going through divorce, so money is being preserved and spent wisely now... But my dad wants to get a new Mac when the PM G5 Rev B's come out... And am I excited!

When I get that Mac, I quit Windows and will twitch at the sight of that awfull unstable OS called Windows XP... AKA Windows eXPeriance... Yes, it's been quite an experiance with Windows, a experiance that made me switch, or ready to switch when the time comes...

MORAL: Windows XP is horribly, sickenly, disasterly, utterably, disgustingly... UNSTABLE

NOW Mac OS X is perfectly STABLE

DISK Reformat Count: Lost count, but to be honest I'd say around 30 on all 5 of the PC's we own

God Bless Apple...
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chaser

Currently, I'm a Windows XP user, and have used windows, not a Mac for 16 years (all my life). I have a right to bash it, and I am. I use it everyday and the specs are as follows...

P4 2.4Ghz 533FSB

nVidia GeForce FX 5200 256MB

512MB Ram

Anyways, hardware wise, it's pretty average, if not above average in the PC world... But running Windows, I get many blue screens of death, and errors... lock ups, etc... I'm sick of it. Right now my mom and dad are going through divorce, so money is being preserved and spent wisely now... But my dad wants to get a new Mac when the PM G5 Rev B's come out... And am I excited!

When I get that Mac, I quit Windows and will twitch at the sight of that awfull unstable OS called Windows XP... AKA Windows eXPeriance... Yes, it's been quite an experiance with Windows, a experiance that made me switch, or ready to switch when time comes...

MORAL: Windows XP is horribly, sickenly, disasterly, utterably, disgustingly... UNSTABLE

God Bless Apple...

although you push it a little far, I do agree with you, the only thing close to stable I have used from M$ was dos 6, yea it crashed but not like windows, and M$ saying "xp is more stable than 98/me" is like Los-Alamos saying that an m-16 is less deadly than a nuke, that doesnt mean that it is not a killing machine but it kills less in one pass.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:

God Bless Apple...

I disagree.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    chaserchaser Posts: 63member
    Quote:

although you push it a little far, I do agree with you, the only thing close to stable I have used from M$ was dos 6, yea it crashed but not like windows, and M$ saying "xp is more stable than 98/me" is like Los-Alamos saying that an m-16 is less deadly than a nuke, that doesnt mean that it is not a killing machine but it kills less in one pass.

I did exagerate, but Windows is not nearly as stable as OS X but thankfully, sometimes Windows is workable...
  • Reply 38 of 39
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Sigh?my iMac DV SE is at 59 days?but I need to unplug it soon to rearrange.

Just like that Frogger episode of Seinfeld!

Anyone know Slippery Pete's cell number?

(Note to Apple: Add ?Seinfeld? and ?Frogger? to the default spellcheck dictionary! )
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Quote:

...thankfully, sometimes Windows is workable...

When?