Tiger Woods worst game in five years

jrcjrc
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
[a ha ha ha - i just had to come back since Nov to post this. BYE AGAIN! ]

Tiger suffers worst finish in five years

ORLANDO (AFP) - Tiger Woods suffered his worst finish in five years when he tied for 46th at the PGA Bay Hill Invitational.

A week that began with Woods' trying to become the first player to win the same PGA Tour event five times in a row ended with a whimper as he carded a mediocre 1-over-par 73 in ideal conditions at Bay Hill.

It was his worst result since sharing 56th in this event in 1999, the year before he started his four-year winning streak. And it's a poor omen coming a week before the Players Championship and three weeks before the Masters.

Woods recorded three consecutive rounds over par for the first time in a non-major tournament. After opening with a 67 on Thursday, he went 74-74-73, making just five birides over the last 54 holes for a 72-hole total of par 288.

His frustration became evident at the sixth hole, where, after spraying his second shot into the water, he threw his club and hit caddie Steve Williams, according to witnesses.

"He was just as hot as I was, so it didn't really matter," Woods said, brushing off the question and preferring to focus on the positive.

"This was one of the best driving weeks I've had all year. My iron game was absolutely horrific. My bad shots were unplayable. I just need to tighten up those shots, get them more in play and get myself more looks at putts."

Woods hit a healthy 42 of 56 fairways this week but only 45 of 72 greens in regulation.

"If I put things together, I'll be all right," Woods said. "The goal is always to have it together for every major. That's where you want to peak, four times a year."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I. don't. get. it.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Uh, yeah, nice to see you.

Is there such thing as a mercy ban?
  • Reply 3 of 23
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    If not, I would like to suggest the concept of a "douche ban". Not only is it catchy sounding, but it keeps PITA members from recurring at unexpected times.

• Reply 4 of 23
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Poor Tiger, he's still worth what? 700 Million?
  • Reply 5 of 23
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

If not, I would like to suggest the concept of a "douche ban". Not only is it catchy sounding, but it keeps PITA members from recurring at unexpected times.

Dude, I've now got "douche" stuck in my memory... hope I don't wind up in the control panel later looking at certain people's titles...

• Reply 6 of 23
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Huh? JRC makes a big stink about leaving and then comes back to post *this*? drew, your hit on JRC didn't seem to go over as planned and it looks like he's back. Hand over that title.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

Poor Tiger, he's still worth what? 700 Million?

It really is quite sad...

What a sorry case ...
  • Reply 8 of 23
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    i don't know many players who suceed to pass the cut while comitting their worst game in five years.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    It IS sad that ANY athlete can command hundreds of millions of dollars just based on playing a sport and being popular -- but that's another argument for another thread. What the market will bear vs. what people who actually contribute to society make, etc.

But the notion of bashing Tiger because he had a crappy tournament is just retarded. Nobody will ever truly conquer that game, not even Tiger. It's just not possible. If you play long enough, you will fall flat on your face and maybe more than once. Maybe for an entire season or more. The game gets into your head very easily.

As a man who has played the game for more than 20 years all told (and who at one time posted single digit handicaps), I am intelligent enough to have realized (a long time ago), that Tiger would eventually falter badly / have a bad season. THAT's GOLF!

What a revelation. Tiger had a bad tournament. Ooooo.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

It IS sad that ANY athlete can command hundreds of millions of dollars just based on playing a sport and being popular -- but that's another argument for another thread. What the market will bear vs. what people who actually contribute to society make, etc.

But the notion of bashing Tiger because he had a crappy tournament is just retarded. Nobody will ever truly conquer that game, not even Tiger. It's just not possible. If you play long enough, you will fall flat on your face and maybe more than once. Maybe for an entire season or more. The game gets into your head very easily.

As a man who has played the game for more than 20 years all told (and who at one time posted single digit handicaps), I am intelligent enough to have realized (a long time ago), that Tiger would eventually falter badly / have a bad season. THAT's GOLF!

What a revelation. Tiger had a bad tournament. Ooooo.

You have it right. Only people who don't practice golf can be surprised by a bad performance in golf.

As a golf player, i spend most of my times doing crappy tournaments. From time to time i do a good one, and my handicap decrease. Tha's how it works in golf.

Last year Tiger did a bad year : only 5 tournaments win, and only number 2 on the money list of the PGA tour, named player of the year, and number one in the world golf ranking.

If only i can play as bad as himself ! (that's what think most professional golf players of the world)
  • Reply 11 of 23
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member
    maybe I'll read those replies someday.

but not today

Tiger made me come back to the forum!

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...r_040410231611
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Awww someone has a crush. How sweet.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    The game is in his head, quite clearly. Maybe it won't be his year, but every great champion of this game has had entire years / seasons that were bad. Let ole Lefty and Easy slug it out a few more times.

Today's final round was the best televised golf I think I've ever seen.

PS - I hope Sergio never attains the "nemisis of Woods" status people were once attributing to him. He doesn't deserve to win squat until he grows up. What a crappy attitude that guy had when interviewed. Had a great round, announcer was gracious in congratulating him, etc... and all he could talk about were the six holes he played badly. As if it were a foregone conclusion he would've won, had he played them well.

Serg could learn a thing or three from Olazabal. There's a classy champion in every respect. Garcia is a whiny little punk.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

The game is in his head, quite clearly. Maybe it won't be his year, but every great champion of this game has had entire years / seasons that were bad. Let ole Lefty and Easy slug it out a few more times.

Today's final round was the best televised golf I think I've ever seen.

PS - I hope Sergio never attains the "nemisis of Woods" status people were once attributing to him. He doesn't deserve to win squat until he grows up. What a crappy attitude that guy had when interviewed. Had a great round, announcer was gracious in congratulating him, etc... and all he could talk about were the six holes he played badly. As if it were a foregone conclusion he would've won, had he played them well.

Serg could learn a thing or three from Olazabal. There's a classy champion in every respect. Garcia is a whiny little punk.

Garcia is arrogant, Olazabal his a much better gentleman, and at the difference of Garcia he winned majors.

However Garcia wins much more money than Olazabal. The crowd like this kind of people.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    Hence the old attage: "don't follow the crowd".

Side note: "the crowd" also loves reality TV, SUVs and yelling "YOU DA MAN" during people's back-swings.

• Reply 16 of 23
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    who's the british coach he fired a year or two ago? seems to me he's pretty much sucked (for him) since then.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    If he was British, it was probably Leadbetter. I don't really follow golf that closely anymore, but David Leadbetter is the sort of premier pro instructor from the UK. Prior to that I think Woods was partnered with Butch Harmon.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Screw Tiger Woody. Mickelson RULES. I hate golf with a passion. But I watched the last three holes of the Masters and Mickelson was awesome. A little iffy (as usual) as a career golfer, but it was great to see him finally get what he deserved.

As far as Woody...he'll be back. It's always the same with golf. That's why in most ways its the most boring (yet unpredictable) "sport" of all time.

• Reply 19 of 23
    Real men play hockey....

• Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

If he was British, it was probably Leadbetter. I don't really follow golf that closely anymore, but David Leadbetter is the sort of premier pro instructor from the UK. Prior to that I think Woods was partnered with Butch Harmon.

David Leadbetter is coming from South Africa.