iPod missing feature??

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
So, I just got a Jetta (my first car for some time) and am looking to have my 10gig (2nd gen) iPod wired into it...when something occured to me...

There is no way to skip to the next playlist with the press of a button!!! So, I am driving and listening to whatever, I need to pick up the ipod, look at it, and press 3 or 4 buttons to get to the next playlist. This just strikes me as silly, or am I missing something?

It seems to me that all they need to do is when one is in a playlist playing a song, the down arrow (which has no function while playing) should take you to the first song of the next playlist. That way, I could truly browse my entire playlist library without even looking at the iPod.

Any thoughts??

\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    No, there's really no *easy* way to jump to the next playlist.

And what is this "down arrow" of which you speak? Do you mean Play/Pause?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Yeah, sorry, that is indeed the play/pause button.

Well in that case, there must be some way to incorporate that into the interface...if it had that ability, the iPod would truly kick butt for car audio!!

Oh well, I guess I should not complain too much, the least car I had came with nothing more than a lousy tape deck!!

• Reply 3 of 6
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:

Originally posted by maninmac

Well in that case, there must be some way to incorporate that into the interface...if it had that ability, the iPod would truly kick butt for car audio!!

What would really kick butt: if you were able to control an iPod/mp3 player through the steering wheel controls. That way, you would never have to look at the iPod to control it.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    artguyartguy Posts: 7member
    Already done! I control my iPod from my MINI cooper steering wheel controls with the Dension IceLink. You install it into the head unit of your car stereo, plug in the pod and voila! Excellent sound and control of tune selections. You can even attach a firewire cable and it will charge the iPod as well as automatically adjust the cvolume to match your fm and CD player levels! Way cool!!!!

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...&topic=20697&0
  • Reply 5 of 6
    WOW!!

That is really cool, I wish they made something like that for VW--mind you, mine is a 2001, and does not even have the buttons on the steering wheel!

At the end of the day, all it needs is a 'next playlist' buttton, and it would be all set...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:

Originally posted by maninmac

WOW!!

That is really cool, I wish they made something like that for VW--mind you, mine is a 2001, and does not even have the buttons on the steering wheel!

At the end of the day, all it needs is a 'next playlist' buttton, and it would be all set...

They do have a version for VW, but its on backorder...I think you should be able to control the iPod with the stereo head unit controls...

VW ICELink

Peace.