Adium X question

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have recently discovered the IM-client Adium X. It's great and I really love using it. But it seems a bit rough around the edges, something I am sure its developers will straighten out in time. But I have one particular problem that I can't seem to overcome, so I figured that I'd ask here and see if anyone knew of a solution.

Is there a way to add several AOL-accounts to the same contact (ie person)? In iChat this is possible and quite useful as I have some friends who insist on using three or more AOL accounts, for work, home and so on...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Nope, this feature isn't there yet. I say "yet" because I believe there were some whispers over at the official Adium forums about implementing it. The buddy list code is still young and in flux and should be having another revision in the not-too-distant future.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Thank you Brad! I will keep my eyes out for an update then. I noticed earlier in the "post your desktop"-thread that you ran Adium and that made me go ahead and try it out.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Adium is still considered alpha software, so maybe thats why its a bit round around the edges..
  • Reply 4 of 7
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Proteus allows for multiple accounts of every service is supports. If you can wait 'till Wednesday, I suggest you try Proteus 4.

I understand that Brad and others are big Adium fans...no problems there...but I don't like the fact that they ignore Proteus' advantages over Adium and Fire.

If you use AOL a lot, Proteus 4 has the following advantages over Adium:

-ability to use multiple AOL (or any service) accounts concurrently

-buddy picts in the contact list

-away message in the contact list

-ability to group same contacts into one meta-contact (3 AOL accounts shows up as one contact in your list)

-remote access to your messages (keep Proteus open at home and access your messages from any computer connected to the internet)

Some of these have been available in Proteus 3 if you want to check it out now...but I suggest you wait until Wednesday when Proteus 4 comes out.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

-ability to use multiple AOL (or any service) accounts concurrently

Adium does this too. I use this feature frequently to "talk to myself" when testing various things.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Adium does this too. I use this feature frequently to "talk to myself" when testing various things.

Yeah...I just realized I misread KANE's post. Mixed up multiple-concurrent-services with meta-contact grouping.

Ignore the multiple-concurrent-service thing I mentioned.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Ive used Proteus 3 for a long time now... And its okay, except for its manic use of CPU when opening new windows, and thats its preferences are so messed up that you cant find anything you're looking for!

But thats about all I can complain about it..

Ive also tried Fire, ditched it everytime after a small amount of use.. It didnt save prefs (On 3 machines!) and it didnt work as expected in most sircumstances... I really cant see why people like it...

Now im looking foreward to AdiumX, which IMO, is looking like its going to be the best due to ongoing development from several sources. And its totally customizable..