New eMacs

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
1.25GHz, Radeon 9200, DDR RAM, optional bluetooth, USB 2. Looks like Apple is throwing us a bone, as it was. Looks like WWDC for everything else \

http://www.apple.com/emac/ EDIT: eMac page updated now.

http://www.apple.com/store

Still, it looks pretty good. The eMac was already great value for the price, now it's even better. Hopefully this will convert a few more PC users.

Barto

Comments

• Reply 1 of 100
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Processor

1.25GHz PowerPC G4

System bus

167MHz

Memory

256MB of PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SDRAM; supports up to 1GB

Hard disk drive (2)

40GB Ultra ATA/100

80GB Ultra ATA/100

Optical drive

Combo (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

Display

17-inch (16-inch viewable) flat CRT

Graphics support

ATI Radeon 9200; 32MB dedicated DDR SDRAM video memory

VGA video mirroring (3)

Yes (Apple VGA Adapter required, sold separately)

S-video and composite video output (3)

Yes (Apple VGA Adapter required, sold separately)

Ports

Two FireWire 400 ports, three USB 2.0 ports (on computer), two USB 1.1 ports (on keyboard), mini-VGA output port, headphone jack, audio line in jack

did they always have usb 2.0??

and bus up from 133 to 167

g
  • Reply 2 of 100
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW); writes DVD-R discs at up to 8x speed, reads DVDs at up to 10x speed, writes CD-R discs at up to 24x speed, writes CD-RW discs at up to 10x speed, reads CDs at up to 32x speed

nice

iMac 15" needs an update...the eMac now has a faster DVD burner and a better graphics card and a faster G4 and a faster bus

g

shit, is that a new dvd burner?? i think that is faster than the PM G5s have
  • Reply 3 of 100
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    well, for the price, it isn't bad, but i wish they could fit dual processors in there, even if they had to crank down the GHz. but i'm just being picky, i suppose. but it didn't take them long to get the 8x superdrive in there, did it?

man, can you tell apple wanted something bigger than this? the emac announcement didn't even supplant the g5 "quotes" on their home page.
  • Reply 4 of 100
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Yep, new 8x DVD burner. Speeds match the Pioneer DVR-107, that's probably what it is. Funny that the eMac now has a faster DVD burner than the G5. Unfortunately, the media is super expensive, so generally you just use 4x media until the 8x becomes cheaper.

4x media = < $1 per disc

8x media = $3-$5 per disc

I just got myself a spindle of 25 4x DVD-R discs even though I have an 8x DVD-R drive. Hopefully by the time I go through them, the 8x media will only be slightly more expensive than the 4x.
  • Reply 5 of 100
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    This is Fred Anderson's sweet spot computer. Education will gorge these things, and I think Apple was just showing the education people that they had products for them to consider for next school year.
  • Reply 6 of 100
    This is funney because against the current lineup this emac looks pretty good. And at that price the best buy for non-laptop purchase. I saw something awhile back about how the old emac outperformed the imac. It should relly kick its you know what now.

I think this is a good sign for other updates to follow soon! There is no way they would let the emac out spec the other lines.
  • Reply 7 of 100
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    Very good update to the emac line. Loving the 8x dvd burner.
  • Reply 8 of 100
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Nice little update for the emac.

Well, probably ibooks next as they are also education fodder.

On the other hand, the iMac is now EXTRA pathetic.

We need update, stat!
  • Reply 9 of 100
    talksense101talksense101 Posts: 1,738member
    if this is indicative of things to come, we should expect some pretty good upgrades for the other models.
  • Reply 10 of 100
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    In addition to the 8x superdrive being better, another thing to note is that the cache is 512K L2 cache on the eMac... current iMacs have only 256K L2 cache.
  • Reply 11 of 100
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Wow, a nice little update for sure! A 250MHz jump, overnight. Can't bitch about that. And finally USB 2.0. New graphics, 256MB base RAM, dropped price on the SuperDrive model to $999 (AND a 8x SuperDrive!).

Nothing to complain about here, folks. If you want a capable, solid, no-bullshit Mac, get an eMac.

In fact, I wish more Macs took their cue from this: I totally dig how the clock speed and graphics are the same, and the only real differentiating factor is the optical drive. So if you don't want or need a SuperDrive, you don't get "punished" by having to make do with a slower processor or lesser graphics card (as is the case with the iBooks, PowerBooks, iMacs in the past, etc.).

I'd like to see this kind of thing more in Apple's line-up...a basic, shared core set of specs/features in terms of processor, graphics, I/O. Then you simply buy based the type of optical drive or hard drive amount you need. You don't get punished for buying a Combo Drive model, and you don't have to be stuck with a SuperDrive just to get a "loaded", fully spec-ed machine in that particular product line.

Nice update, Apple. Takes a bit of the sting off this 3-and-a-half months of silence...
  • Reply 12 of 100
    Looks like it's time to "upgrade" from my 15" 800MHz FP iMac!

Hell, at these prices I might have get one with a superdrive for me and one with a combo drive for my wife. Two respectably performing computers for the cost of one 17" FP iMac.

Nice Specs

Nice Price

Nice job Apple.
  • Reply 13 of 100
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I am sorely tempted to replace my Rev. A iMac with this. Very nice machine for the money especially if it is half as reliable as the iMac has been for me..
  • Reply 14 of 100
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Man, I totally would! THAT would be a worthwhile, noticeable jump...in every way!

1) 233MHz G4 > 1.25GHz G4 (I mean, that alone!)

2) 4-6MB graphics > 32MB

3) 15" screen @ 800x600 > 17" flat screen @ 5 good choices

4) CD-ROM > Combo or SuperDrive

5) No FireWire > FireWire

6) No AirPort > AirPort Extreme

7) USB 1.1 > USB 2.0

8) 6GB hard drive > 40 or 80GB

9) Hockey puck > Optical Pro mouse

10) Small keyboard > larger, full-size/key layout

11) Small, chintzy speakers > fuller-sounding eMac speakers (which sound surprisingly good for built-ins!)

You can get that little stand too, for cool tilt/swivel capability, and to raise it to a more comfortable eye-level.

Most important of all: Panther/OS X capable and friendly. I say "do it".

I certainly would...that's a great machine at a great price!!!
  • Reply 15 of 100
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Not to mention, the prices are 50 and 100 U.S. dollars lower on each machine in the education store. The $799 drops to $749 and the $999 drops to $899 for education qualifying buyers. Wow!
  • Reply 16 of 100
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    I agree with pscates. This is a solid update. And it could be the beginning of great things to come.
  • Reply 17 of 100
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Man, I totally would! THAT would be a worthwhile, noticeable jump...in every way!

1) 233MHz G4 > 1.25GHz G4 (I mean, that alone!)

2) 4-6MB graphics > 32MB

3) 15" screen @ 800x600 > 17" flat screen @ 5 good choices

4) CD-ROM > Combo or SuperDrive

5) No FireWire > FireWire

6) No AirPort > AirPort Extreme

7) USB 1.1 > USB 2.0

8) 6GB hard drive > 40 or 80GB

9) Hockey puck > Optical Pro mouse

10) Small keyboard > larger, full-size/key layout

11) Small, chintzy speakers > fuller-sounding eMac speakers (which sound surprisingly good for built-ins!)

You can get that little stand too, for cool tilt/swivel capability, and to raise it to a more comfortable eye-level.

Most important of all: Panther/OS X capable and friendly. I say "do it".

I certainly would...that's a great machine at a great price!!!

Not to mention I could get combo drive model for $400 less than I paid for iMac.

oh man...the credit card is shaking now...
  • Reply 18 of 100
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    You guys keep mentioning that it has 40 or 80GB HDDs. From the specs I saw in the store (for the super drive model) you have an option of a 80 or 160GB drive.

This is really tempting me. My sawtooth is showing its age. Maybe it's time to retire it to the land of servers and get that eMac.
  • Reply 19 of 100
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca

Yep, new 8x DVD burner. Speeds match the Pioneer DVR-107, that's probably what it is.

i agree about the drive being the 107.

if this is the case, shouldn't the emacs be capable of burning DVD+R and DVD+RW media?

if i reacall the 107 can do burn both types of disk. Or is there some kind of apple firmware disabling this feature?
  • Reply 20 of 100
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Nothing to complain about here, folks.

My word, someone's chipper today.