Shared Story

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
OK boys and girls, ladies and germs, those of indeterminate sex, and our friends from the animal kingdom (hope I didn't leave anybody out!). I don't know if this game has ever been played here before. If it has, humour me. If it hasn't, humour me anyway. I'm interested to see if it can be made to work online. It's an old Theatresports game (think "Whose line is it anyway?" if you don't know what that is).

Here's how it works. In a moment, you will get the title of the story (from moi) and the first line and a bit of the story (also from moi). You then have to complete the line of the story and add your own, preferably leaving the sentence open-ended or incomplete. And so on. The idea being to develop a continuous story, building on the idea of the former player and marching steadfastly towards making the title make sense. Yes it requires team work! So this thread is almost certainly guaranteed to be a disaster. (In fact, I'm betting some smart arse will f**k it up within the first 3 posts.)

Here are a couple of rules to help it work in this medium:

1. You can't finish your own line (ie. you can't post 2 lines in a row)

2. If two people post at the same time, the first post is the one that counts. The second post can then become the next line in the story if it makes sense. Otherwise it should be ignored.

3. Please post your "line" first and then any additional comments (ie. non-story comments) underneath so we know what's what.

In case you're completely befuddled, here's an example of how it works.

Player 1: Suddenly, shots rang out from Steve's office. Fred turned to Jon and said......

Player 2: ...."oh my god, Bob from marketing just went in there!" Both men lunged towards the office door just as.....

Player 3: .....Steve emerged brandishing an AK-47 and a maniacal grin. He pulled a blood soaked.......

Get it? Got it? Good. Here we go.

The Title:

"Eaten Alive!"

Line 1:

Mounted on their trusty llamas, Hector and Oliver made their way down the narrow country lane. All of a sudden, from the bushes to their left they heard.......

Comments

• Reply 1 of 89
    a rustle in the leaves of the banana trees. They exchanged glances. Narrowing his eyes, the knuckles on Hector's left hand whitened around his llama's reins as, without looking, he felt behind him with his right to find his saddlebag and the
  • Reply 2 of 89
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    gun. He placed his hand on it, and just as he was about to pull it out of the halfter...
  • Reply 3 of 89
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    ...Oliver yelled "Don't shoot! It's just my mom." Hector, to say the least, was a bit skeptical. Besides the crazed look in Oliver's eyes, Hector doubted that Oliver's mother was quite so...
  • Reply 4 of 89
    amphibious. "No, really!" cried Oliver. "She was brought up in a
  • Reply 5 of 89
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    ...zombie whorehouse and had to endure daily...
  • Reply 6 of 89
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    ...taunts from her zombie counterparts about being "so alive and happy" all the time...
  • Reply 7 of 89
    Hector sniffed and relaxed his grip, nodding slowly and not without pity. She would come along with them. It was a long journey and they would need a comrade with such vicious-looking
  • Reply 8 of 89
    and pegleg.
  • Reply 9 of 89
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

...taunts from her zombie counterparts about being "so alive and happy" all the time...

...and for her persistence in wearing provocative make-up, sexy clothes, and totally uncalled-for fishnet pantyhose (hahaha). Her outrageous style set the whole place on edge with a most unzombiesque quivering tension; and finally, she was...
  • Reply 10 of 89
    suddenly killed as the ground beneath her collapsed into a large crevasse under her immense weight.
  • Reply 11 of 89
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Because zombies are much heavier than you think. Especially those zombies who...
  • Reply 12 of 89
    use PC's, because PC's have a lot of extra crap on them, and that crap magically transfers from the computer to the person using it.
  • Reply 13 of 89
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Hector, stung by shock, wheeled his llama in the opposite direction only to see the narrow path dissolve into a conflagration of pack animals, and well-armed creoles. One by one the creoles.....
  • Reply 14 of 89
    nebulousnebulous Posts: 193member
    ... broke into song. By the time they had finished "My Favorite Things" and were well into the second verse of "Oklahoma", Hector was struck by an overwhelming sense of...
  • Reply 15 of 89
    ...being part of the team, all caught up in the exuberant expression of physical energy within the confines of a bounded unification and orchestrated tension and release*. Looking meaningfully into Oliver's shimmering green eyes, Hector...

*It's okay to plagarize from another thread, isn't it?
  • Reply 16 of 89
    ...died....
  • Reply 17 of 89
    Suddenly the FCC arrived and put a bag over Oliver's head saying it was an offensive use of public...
  • Reply 18 of 89
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    ...resources.

Hector's llama regurgitated, waking him from his daydreaming. Rustling in the banana leaves above gianed intesisty as Hector pulled his well-worn Phased Plasma Rifle from his saddle bag. The dragons they'd seen yesterday had to be close, no need to risk...
  • Reply 19 of 89
    ...hurting their feelings by not having some freshly killed llama to offer them. He powered up the rifle and took a bead on...
  • Reply 20 of 89
    ...using heavier artillery, as the recent reports that the dragons were immune to phased plasma bursts were merely "historical documents". With firm resolve...

[Damn. Someone interrupted me and my response landed out of step. Please ignore. ]