Are the Forums stalling a lot or is it just me?

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
As of today 4/13/04 the threads never fully load. If I hit cancel, most of the HTML renders and I can read but none of the secondary graphics load so I can't do everything I need to do. The primary topnav and logo loads but no other graphics do.

Is an image server down or being bombarded or something?

I doubt it's the curiosity over the eMac

I'm in Safari 1.2.1/Mac OS X 10.3.3 not that that should matter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Not just you.

Speed sucks.

Dunno why.

help
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Working fast as ever here.

It's probably the ads. Are you blocking your ads? The ads have always been the slowest element to load at AppleInsider. I suggest you block them.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Working fast as ever here.

It's probably the ads. Are you blocking your ads? The ads have always been the slowest element to load at AppleInsider. I suggest you block them.

I am blocking them, ever since "Hi, my name is Tina"

I'll give a go in some other browsers or some other machines later.

Personally, I'm trying to cut down on AI anyway so it was just an FYI to you guys in case you were getting hammered from something and weren't yet aware.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Oh, I see it is:

http://appleinsider.com/adserve/adjs.php?n=706535474&what=zone:10&exclude=,

...that is stalling.

Just not sure why the edit/reply/smilies/etc pics also wouldn't load.

Hm.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    I block everything that comes from appleinsider.com (without the "forums" prefix), FWIW. That takes care of most of the ads (then just add filters for media.fastclick.net, et al. for the rest) and everything on the forums works fine.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I block everything that comes from appleinsider.com (without the "forums" prefix), FWIW. That takes care of most of the ads (then just add filters for media.fastclick.net, et al. for the rest) and everything on the forums works fine.

Worked great Brad, thanks.

I had previously only added media.fastclick.net.

But what about the other n users?

I love a good band-aid solution as much as the next guy but the problem will exist for most other users.

Anyway I'll chalk it up to a temporary thing and leave it for them to complain about if it persists.

I'm happy, that's all that matters
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Well, anyone else that's having problems who won't/can't figure out how to block ads, please send your feedback/flames/death threads to:

[email protected]

Seriously. Please, be my guest. It's 100% his fault that you guys have to put it with that kind of crap.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Just for the record...AI was running really slow for me earlier today too...and now it's fine. I'm thinking it was a server issue of some sort, because the ads didn't change from yesterday, and it was only slow for a few hours, now it's back to normal.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    No, it was definitely an advertisement issue. When I turned off my ad-blocker, the site choked up. When I turned it back on, everything was smooth again.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Well, actually, it was all those people signing up for FREE MAGAZINES from the front end link on AppleInsider.com. Shit, I just got me a subscription to Maxim, Sports Illustrated, and Penthouse.